Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Risotto with Porcini Mushrooms

Cooking Italy Assignment
Risotto with Porcini Mushrooms, p247

This was an assignment that I skipped last December, a really good risotto, made with ingredients that I usually have around the house. A lovely mushroomy flavor, all from dried porcini (or cêpes, en français). An interesting feature is adding Parmesan to the mixture just before serving, as a seasoning, rather than as a cheesy ingredient.

I made a half recipe, using a jar of Albert Heijn's vleesfond, topped up to 2-1/2 cups, instead of Hazan's meat broth. In contrast to most risotto recipes I've used, this recipe has no wine; instead, the meat broth is the first liquid added. After the risotto has cooked for about ten minutes, you add the soaked, formerly dried mushrooms and about half of their soaking liquid.


The remaining shroom liquid is used to finish the risotto. The half recipe, followed by a big salad, made a nice meal for the two of us. (These are salad plates, so the potions are not as big as they might look in this photo.)

5 comments:

  1. Looks delicious. I forgot how much I loved it. I need to buy some more mushrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo...that looks so good. I think it would be perfect with a glass of red wine, a hearty one. You're making me hungry - again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't made this yet...I have everything for it, but still...haven't quite gotten there. Risotto puzzles me. I don't know what I'm trying to achieve exactly, so I'm at odds... LOL! YOURS looks lovely and tasty though! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kaye, this looks fabulous - I haven't made this yet, or any of Marcella's risottos, but now that we are well into autumn here it seems like the perfect time to try this.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your photos, you are so great at capturing the essense of everything, and then I am really excited to see the final product! Looks wonderful. I need to get this one, too. I am such a slacker with this group...bad me. Your posts are very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete