Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Five-Alarm Lentil Soup

The Sriracha Cookbook
Randy Clemens
Ten Speed Press (2011)
ISBN 1607740036


For our first day back from a week's vacation, I planned a nice vegetarian soup for dinner, which turned out to be a good thing, since the weather has turned frigid. I collected the recipe from a recipe list, but noticed that it's actually from The Sriracha Cookbook, a not-too-old book that I started reading and then put away, I think because company was coming and I wanted to tidy up my stacks of books. On the basis of this soup, I think I need to resume my perusal.

This is an easy soup to assemble. You start by sautéing chopped red onions and carrots in a bit of olive oil. Then you stir in a pile of minced garlic, some smoked paprika, ground cumin, bay leaves, tomato paste, and 3/4 cup of Sriracha—all good tastes. When it smells nice, you stir in a can of stewed tomatoes (I used deseeded "sauce" from the freezer). Then add a pound of red lentils and 2 liters of vegetable stock (I cheated and used the stuff from a cube since there wasn't enough in the freezer.) Simmer till the lentils are soft, salt and pepper to taste, toss the bay leaves, and serve. Yum!


Yes, I could have wiped the edge of the bowl before taking the picture, but we were hungry!

This post is linked to this week's Cookbook Sundays.

3 comments:

  1. Kaye, if I was presented with a bowl of that soup I wouldn't be taking time to wipe the sides of the bowl either.

    Looks delicious - thanks so much for sharing with Cookbook Sundays.

    Sue ox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaye, this sounds good and I have some vegetable stock I need to use up. Do you buy commericial Sriracha or have you made your own? Or could I kust substitute some sambal (since I don't have it and don't know what it tastes like)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Barbara, I'm just using store-bought sriracha, which is definitely tasty. I happened to see it at Albert Heijn last week, not the same brand, but I don't think that should matter too much. Good hot stuff. Sambal seems different to me ... saltier and, well, different. Also it's not liquid like sriracha, but that shouldn't matter too much.

    ReplyDelete