Friday, January 6, 2012

Clafoutis aux Carottes

Mes petites recettes magiques au curcuma
Pascale de Lomas
Leduc (year?)
ISBN 2848994495


This little book was a bit of an impulse buy. There's a whole series of Mes Petites Recettes Magiques books available at the grocery store, but I managed to limit myself to just this one that stars turmeric. It was a fun read, stretching mon pauvre français, and I used quite a few stickies on such a small book. Previously I tried a vinaigrette (lemon, oil, S&P, turmeric, and a pinch of sugar). This time I opted for something a little more substantial.

A clafoutis is usually known as a dessert with fresh fruit (classically cherries, but most any fruit that's not too soggy can be used) cooked in kind of a pancake batter. This version, with carrots, can be served as a side dish or as a dish on its own, accompanied by a salad.

The recipes in this book are limited to one per page, so that means the instructions are sometimes less thorough that you might like. Given that you're already comfortable in the kitchen (and all French people are, aren't they?), this really isn't a problem. More annoying is that the ingredients are not given in the order used, but in an apparently random order. This is an annoying problem I see frequently in both French and Dutch recipes.

The carrot clafoutis uses oignons primeurs, which are young onions, looking like green onions with a bulb. Those weren't in the shop, so I used shallots instead, minced, then sautéed in olive oil and drained on a paper towel. Eggs are beaten and milk added, little by little, until it's all well mixed. Then salt, pepper, turmeric, basil, and piment d'Esplette are added. Flour is sprinkled in, then grated carrots and the onions are stirred in. The mixture is put into a buttered dish and baked for 35 minutes. Well, for me it took longer than that, but I often find that eggy-custardy things take longer than stated. My oven's at the right temperature, but it was still at least 45 minutes till this was done through. You can see where I poked it quite a bit in the middle to encourage it to finish cooking.



Having served this clafoutis as a side dish, I think it would be better by itself, either in small wedges as a starter or bigger wedges as a main, accompanied by a nice salad.

This recipe suggest using turnips or parsnips in place of the carrots, but these would make for a pretty monotone dish, while the orange bits make it quite pretty.

This post is linked to next week's Cookbook Sundays. (I'm at the late end of this week and Sue's in New Zealand, so I'm taken advantage of that to leap ahead here.)

3 comments:

  1. I love the idea of a savoury clafoutis, and I can imagine the carrots having great flavour as well as imparting that orange flecked prettiness. I would love to give this a try.

    Thanks for sharing this with Cookbook Sundays.

    Sue xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Savoury clafoutis! what a brilliant idea. I'm into a very vegetarian phase right now and have been making savoury bread puddings recently, so this gives me another way to expand my cooking horizons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this idea, sort of like "Impossible Pie". Nice for a meatless night with salad.

    ReplyDelete