Saturday, February 11, 2012

Lentil Soup with Red Squash and Fennel

Verdura: Vegtables Italian Style
Viana La Place
William Morrow (1991)
ISBN 0688087647

This is another book I saw recommended somewhere, although I don't remember where. It looked like it might be interesting, Italian and vegetables both being Good Things, so I found a cheap second-hand copy. But it sits there on the shelf with other veggie books and I never seem to find anything suitable when I'm looking in that area.

If it the weather forecast is right, we'll have been 2 weeks sub-0C when it finally warms up. Soup weather indeed. There are butternut squash in the cupboard still to be used, the bounty of a neighbor's garden. Lentils are a staple. A slippery trip to the grocery turned up a fennel bulb. And here I found a soup to pull them all together. It was a surprisingly good combination.

Maybe this isn't really a weeknight soup, since it take a good hour to cook, but it's a leisurely thing to put together. Chop an onion and sauté it. While that's going, chop the fennel. When the onion is soft, stir in the fennel. While that's going, measure the lentils, fennel seeds, salt, and water. After the fennel has cooked for five minutes, stir in the lentils and seeds, add the water, and bring to a boil. Let it simmer partly covered for 30 minutes while you peel and chop a chunk of squash. Stir in the squash and cook another 20 minutes until the lentils and squash are done. Grind in some black pepper and serve. A bit of time, but an easy, unrushed assembly. With very tasty results.


This post is linked to this week's Cookbook Sundays.

2 comments:

  1. I love the idea of this, Kaye. I love lentils, and I love just about anything with fennel in it. I don't mind the time thing - since I teach yoga classes in the evening, this is the kind of thing that I could make during the afternoon and then just reheat when I come home from class in the evening. Definitely bookmarked for when our lovely summer is over.

    Thanks for sharing at Cookbook Sundays.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice and warming - a great winter recipe.

    ReplyDelete