Friday, January 6, 2012

Carl Goh's Zucchini Bread

Beard on Bread
James Beard
Knopf (1973)
ISBN 0394473450


Now, Beard on Bread is a book I've had a very long time. It was possibly the first book on bread that I bought, over well thirty years ago. I was surprised to see that I've actually made a recipe from it, a loaf of Basic White Bread, but my notes are undated, so that only means it was a long while ago. Thumbing through the book recently, I came upon this zucchini bread, and since I've got lots of shredded zucchini in the freezer needing to be used. I thought this would make a nice snack.

Like most quick breads this was easy to assemble—that's the point of quick breads, isn't it? I set the oven to heating, then broke up a cupful of walnuts. Beat the eggs then added the sugar (sucre de canne instead of white sugar, and only 3/4 of what was asked), oil, zucchini, and vanilla. Stirred together the dry ingredients and added those. Finally added the walnuts and into the pans for an hour in the oven. Result, a very nice zucchini bread. Ed especially liked that the crust was a bit crispier that other such breads I've made. Maybe this is because the fat is vegetable oil rather than butter. I don't really have a "standard" zucchini bread, but this is one that will get added into the group I use.



This post is linked to this week's Cookbook Sundays.

1 comment:

  1. That looks like lovely Zucchini Bread, Kaye. I have an abundance of zucchini in my garden right now, so I obviously need to start turning some into bread. Great idea to shred up some of the surplus and freeze for use during the year - I never would have thought of that.

    Thanks for sharing this at Cookbook Sundays.

    Sue xo

    ReplyDelete