Monday, June 13, 2011

This week in the kitchen

Monday/13-Jun-11: We had our main meal at midday today, well, it was 15.30, but that's midday compared to 19.00, isn't it? For the main, there was a full dose of Cauliflower with Potatoes (MJ1, p109), from which there is a bit leftover for ... something. I'd originally planned a similar cauliflower and potato recipe from a French magazine, but it looked so bland, that I poked around in my books and came up with this one, which is pretty good. Served with plain basmati rice and the spiced up (not so) Spicy Apricot Chutney from Cooking Light that I've been trying to use up. At the last minute I thought the plate looked very bland, so I made Gujerati Carrot Salad (MJ1, p170), which is about as fast as you can make it and remarkably tasty. Since we ate the kulfi up already, we just had some chocolate chocolate chip cookies for dessert.

The lemons finished soaking today, so I put them up in salt. According to the recipe, 5 lemons should fit in a 1-pint/2-cup jar! I might have been able to force them into a 3/4-liter jar, but they look quite happy in the 1-liter jar I used. But they are only submerged in lemon juice when I mash down on them, otherwise they float up. I might get more lemons next time I'm at the shops at top up the juice. I've probably gone through 2 dozen lemons in the last weeks, what with the artichokes and this project.

Yogurt on overnight.

Tuesday/14-Jun-11: No one went to the boulangerie today, so the bread machine made bread for lunch and tomorrow's breakfast. Made up some juice for chocolate ice cream.

Dinner was Shrimp with Wild Rice, collected from EAT-L (soon to be MC). Took a bit longer than I expected to made, so we ate quite late. Good it was anyhow. And a salad, with the leftover cauliflower and potatoes, and beans from the Sunday.

Wednesday/15-Jun-11: An oldie-but-goodie recipe for dinner, Moroccan Lamb with Carrot Salad (MC). Used ras el-hanout in the rub, rather than paprika, since I've got a jar needing to be used up. Served with couscous, which went really well with the carrot-radish salad. Then some chaource. Then some chocolate ice cream. Yum.

Thursday/16-Jun-11: Midday meal today starring Chicken with Blueberry Sauce (EAT-L, soon to be MC). I used chicken stock, which is thawed and needing to be used up instead of beef stock, which might be better. But it was good. Served with some funny pasta bits and Zucchini and Vermouth (Essential, p227). Followed by a salad. Finished with faiselle and raspberries. All good.

Made some apple-rhubarb butter.

Friday/17-Jun-11: Shopped today. This week's impulse buy was four fresh sardines (gutted), which I'd never had before, let alone cooked. So, they appeared as the starter. The sardines are full of very fine bones (however could you fillet such small things), but the cooked bones were not a problem in the eating. Bought more lemons and added more juice to the preserved lemons which were "under water" only when I pressed down on them; they refused to stay that way.

Dinner was rather unplanned, and late because of that. I used them to make Grilled Moroccan Sardines (Essential, p424). This was quite a good way to do sardines. Fresh ones are much better than canned, less salty and not so overwhelmingly fishy. The marinade was quite good. They only took two minutes under the broiler, not two minutes on each side.

For the main I made Broiled Spiced Swordfish, Mangalore Style (IndLight, p157), which I've made before with tuna. It's quite good with with the swordfish. Easy too. Then there was Cauliflower with Fennel and Mustard Seeds (MJ1, p109), which was good. And Mushroom Pullao (MJ1, p152), which was also good, one of those things I need to remember to make more often. For afters, we finished off the chocolate ice cream, not very Indian, but good. nevertheless.

Saturday/18-Jun-11: Yogurt on overday; otherwise quiet in the kitchen. Picked up Sam and Pat in Bordeaux today. Ate at La Bellone this evening.

Sunday/19-Jun-11: Lunched at the bread fair in Condac. For dinner we had fruit and carrot sticks, topped off with Lu Petits Ecoliers (Scholiertjes).

Progress on goals
This week: #1 VEG/FISH: yes, #2 SOUP:no, #3 MIDDAY: yes
This month: #4 PASTA: not yet

No comments:

Post a Comment