Tuesday, May 28, 2013

IHCC: Pattycake, Pattycake ...

So, this week it's time for some patties. Searching a bit turned up a recipe for Chicken Meatballs with Preserved Lemon and Harissa Relish (web), looking more like patties than meatballs.

The relish is made of thinly sliced preserved lemons, a bit of lemon juice, olive oil, and harissa. I've made preserved lemons before, but happened to find some ready-made in the shops recently, so used those. These lemons were a bit small; it took three rather than two to make up the 220g. I halved the lemons lengthwise, then sliced as thinly as I could manage, removing seeds as I went. The harissa was a specialty one I bought recently.

For the patties, the recipe calls for cutting the kernels from a cob of grilled corn. There being no corn worth grilling in the shops, I thought to use a bit of canned corn, but in the end forgot add even this. The corn would be mixed with ground chicken (I ground skinless, boneless breasts), soaked bread crumbs (I used panko), grated onion, garlic, a red chili, an egg, salt and pepper. Sixty gram balls are first grilled, then baked to finish.


The patties were tasty enough, even without the corn, but dry in the way that chicken or turkey burgers tend to be. The relish was a nice complement.


Visit I Heart Cooking Clubs to see what kind of pattycakes other folks are making.

7 comments:

  1. Interesting sounding dish! Glad you posted it ... and such perfect grill marks on those chicken patties!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the chicken patties with the preserved lemon sauce sounds delicious. I bet it was a very fragrant meal (preserved lemons really have a pretty aroma). Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poultry and lemon make such a nice pair. I've often found poultry based patties to be dry too. Ottolenghi's zucchini turkey burgers are probably the only ones that were moist. Preserved lemons are definitely something I need to try--I love lemon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I happened to notice this one on the website today and bookmarked it to try - definitely sounds like my kind of dish. I especially love the sound of that relish, preserved lemon and harissa being two of my favourite ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I especially love the sound of that relish--I love that zippy flavor that preserved lemon brings. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I do like the sound of these, especially the relish. I have a big jar of preserved lemons underway....so I'll be all set to make this in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've made this too! Wanted to make this for weeks! It was delicious! Mine was moist, maybe because I used a large egg and the white bread was really wet, also I have used slightly less amount of chicken mince. These meatballs are really nice eaten with the Lemon and Harissa Relish!

    ReplyDelete