Friday, March 18, 2011

Veal Stew with Sage, White Wine, and Cream

Cooking Italy Assignment
Veal Stew with Sage, White Wine, and Cream, p377

Now, this was an easy and delicious meal. Chunks of veal, floured and browned, then cooked in white wine with lots of sage, and a good slog of cream stirred in at the end. Yummy.


After trimming most of the fat from the meat, I cut it to the size required, more or less.


While the bits were browning, I decided some of them were still too big, so I halved them, dipped in flour, and browned the cut sides.


After the meat is browned, a bit of onion and a stack of sage leaves are softened before returning the meat to the pan with some white wine for a long simmer. The recipe called for dried sage leaves. I gathered mine in the misty morning air. A rinse, a pat dry, and a long sit on a paper towel was about as dry as these got. And they were fine. Since sage can be an overpowering taste, I was a bit afraid the whole leaves would be too strong, but that wasn't the case at all.

The dish smelled so good as it was cooking, I considered not adding the cream at the appointed time. But Ed thought it added a nice richest.


The recipe says it makes 4-6 servings. I had only about 1.25 pounds (where 1.5 pounds were asked) and this served two adequately. I find it hard to believe 1.5 pounds would serve even 4 as a main course.

This was really tasty and very easy to do. It would be a nice company kind of meal, since it doesn't need much attention to get it finished. Once it's simmering, an occasional stir and check on the liquid level is all it needs. This could be served as an easy main course with a starter that's a bit fussy perhaps.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm, that does sound good. I had just clapped open the computer to look for what I might cook this weekend. I have beef not veal in the freezer, but it does remind me that I haven't cooked from this cookbook for a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete