Monday, February 27, 2017

This week in the kitchen

Monday/27-Feb-17: We finished last week's Chicken Tortilla Pie for dinner, followed by a salad. For dessert we split a piece of the walnut-chocolate tart from the Massignac boulanger, good but rich.

Tuesday/28-Feb-17: Early meal today. We shared a half recipe of Eendenborst met Zuurkool (web), and really tasty it was. I used lardons fumés instead of katenspek (which is smoked, as I remember) and enough for a full recipe, since that's what was in the package. I made some simple buttered potatoes as a go-with, although they were hardly needed. And a salad that we ate later.

Wednesday/1-Mar-17: Shopping today. Not as early as I'd have preferred, but we did it.

Ed cooked dinner, bless his heart, while I reviewed for my French lesson tomorrow. We had a half recipe of Asian Salmon and Green Beans Stir Fry (web), which was pretty good if not great. For dessert, we had some chocolate pudding with "Vietnamese chocolate," keeping with the Asian theme.

Thursday/2-Mar-17: Dinner was a half dose of Scallops in Double Pepper Sauce (Tabasco, p62; cookbooker). Served over polenta. Then a big salad.

Yogurt on overnight.

Friday/3-Mar-17: Early meal today. I made meatloaf in the pressure cooker, which was super. Used a non-pressure cooker recipe sent by an EAT-L friend; I'm sure any recipe would work. For the glaze/sauce, I defrosted some of my "pizza sauce" made from roasted red bell peppers. Very good meatloaf. This one was seasoned with a bit of Worcestershire, cumin, dry mustard, and cheddar cheese (I used old mimelotte). Served with garlicky smashed potatoes and Buttered Beet and Carrot Sauté (CL/dec16, web). All tasty.

Saturday/4-Mar-17: Early meal today. A half recipe of Mushroom Risotto (web). I was intrigued by this recipe because it uses brandy as the "starter" liquid for the risotto where you might ordinarily use white wine. Can't say that I noticed the difference. The recipe is way short on mushrooms, only two cups for the full recipe. I used more than that for my half recipe and I can't say there were too many. Nevertheless it was tasty. Followed by a salad. Then bits of ice cream, a Haagen-Dazs cup for me and a mini Magnum for Ed.

Sunday/5-Mar-17: Dinner from the freezer tonight. We had Lamb Stew with Tamarind and Dumplings, which was tasty still, but the dumplings didn't like either being frozen or reheated; they had a very odd texture. Served over basmati rice (having forgotten about the dumplings), along with Carrots with Cilantro (MJ@Home, p149) and Roasted Curried Cauliflower (CL; web). The carrots I've made before, and they were good as always. The cauliflower was a clipping from CL; it's really easy and was surprisingly good. (I see there's a similar recipe with the same name that includes lemon juice and a bit of cayenne that I'll try before long.) We were full.

Progress on goals
This week: #1 BACKLOG: no; #2 VEG/FISH: 3
This month: #3 PASTA: yes for February, no March; #4 BREAD: no for February, no for March

No comments:

Post a Comment