Thursday, January 19, 2017

Cookbook Countdown: Ravioli with Gorgonzola and Sage Cream

Back to The Best Pressure Cooker Cookbook Ever again for an easy dinner, Ravioli with Gorgonzola and Sage Cream (p104).

The recipe asks for fresh cheese- or meat-filled ravioli. This week I found some ravioli filled with bacon, ricotta, and mozzarella (a new product), which seemed to cover both bases. The ravioli is cooked two minutes at pressure with chicken stock (still working on that Thanksgiving turkey stock), a minced garlic clove, and rubbed sage. (I used some chilly sage from the garden, finely minced, rather than stuff from a jar.) Release the pressure, remove the lid, add some cream, and boil uncovered till the liquid has slightly thickened, about two more minutes. Then reduce the heat, add some crumbled Gorgonzola and grated Parmesan and stir for a few minutes till the cheese has melted. Serve with extra Parmesan.


This was very tasty, but I'm not sure the using the pressure cooker added much to the experience. I could have cooked the ravioli in a regular pot and it would have been done in close to the same time. Nevertheless, it was a tasty main course. 

January starts a new year with Cookbook Countdown. Why don't you choose a book, or two, or more, from your cookbook shelf and join in?

6 comments:

  1. Nice to hear what is better cooked with the pressure cooker and what can maybe be cooked regular. I love how you find all these things you have and use them, it makes me think how I need to do that more consistently. I like the sounds of all the flavors in this one...yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have yet to make my own ravioli, something that I wanted to make for a long time. Your ravioli looks delicious! I have always associate pressure cooker cooking with meat and beans, did not realize that there are many other recipes can be cooked using it. I like seeing all the dishes that you've tried using your pressure cooker! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These were store-bought raviolis! (I haven't made them from scratch in a long time. It's one of those things I have a bit of a fear of doing.)

      Delete
  3. I wonder if I could swap out the cheese 'cause I know no one would eat the Gorgonzola. Maybe Gruyere? It does sound good with the fresh ravioli and the flavors within.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband is not a fan of blue cheeses, and he liked this dish. Gorgonzola is one of the least assertive blues. It went really with the sage and the bacon from the ravioli I bought.

      I suppose a grated hard cheese would work okay. I'm not sure about the Gruyère and the sage together, but it might work OK

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete