Saturday, January 28, 2017

Cookbook Countdown: Carrot Bisque with Vodka and Chervil

Dinner again from The Pressure Cooker Gourmet, by Victoria Wise. Today we had Carrot Bisque with Vodka and Chervil (p31). This, I think, is the kind of thing the pressure cooker excels at.

Start by sautéing a finely chopped onion in some butter. Then add four large, peeled and coarsely chopped carrots, some arborio rice, salt, freshly ground pepper*, chicken stock (Thanksgiving turkey stock again), and water. Close up the pressure cooker, bring to pressure over high heat, reduce the heat to medium, and cook for five minutes. Then turn off the heat and let the pan sit for ten minutes before releasing the remaining pressure. Letting food continue to cook while the pan sits off the heat is a new technique for me; I've seen in a couple of recipes lately.

* When I made this today, I was sure the recipe said black pepper, and that's what I used since the black pepper grinder always at hand. The only criticism I had of the finished soup was that the black flecks were too visible. Now I read again and see it actually says "freshly ground pepper, preferably white." It would be good if I could learn to overcome my expectations and read properly!

Purée the soup, then stir in a tablespoon of vodka and a tablespoon of chopped chervil. That's all there is to it. The soup was so simple, it's really hard to believe how good it was.


January starts a new year with Cookbook Countdown. Why don't you choose a book, or two, or more, from your cookbook shelf and join in?

2 comments:

  1. Oh this looks good. I have never used chervil, ever, so I need to investigate using that in something soon. I had to laugh about the black specks in the soup...when we were children my grandfather used to tease my grandmother by saying that she "hadn't ground up the flies and bugs well enough" as he "could still see the black bits floating about." Lol. My grandmother would tell us to "never mind him, he is just teasing you." But I was never really really certain. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious bowl of soup! I actually like when there's black specks of the black pepper in soups! Haha, I am one that will add on the black pepper to my bowl. The vodka must have added a lovely fragrance to the soup!

    ReplyDelete