Monday, December 5, 2016

This week in the kitchen

Monday/5-Dec-16: Dinner was Pasta with Sardines (Everlasting, p185), which was easy and wasn't bad at all, considering I'm not overly fond of the strong taste of sardines. Then a salad. And we had mini magnums for dessert, Ed a classic, me a white.

Tuesday/6-Dec-16: Off to the vet this a.m. for Oscar's shots. Blood tests revealed failing kidneys (not unusual in 9yo). We have medicine and special food for him now.

For dinner, I turned the turkey chili sort of thing I made last week into a tamale pie, adding chopped black olive to the chili and using the cornmeal mush part from Tamale Pie (OldLaurel, p299). Served with a salad of avocado, tomato, shallot, lime juice, and cilantro. Pretty good, and especially good on the tamale pie. No dessert needed.

Wednesday/7-Dec-16: Shopping today, really late.

Dinner was Roasted Salmon with Thyme and Honey-Mustard Glaze (web). Pretty good even though I forgot and used plain Dijon mustard rather than "country Dijon", which I'm sure would have been better. The recipe calls for the fish to be cooked at 450F for 26 minutes? Twenty-six? That's more than twice too long. Yuck. Served with some boiled potatoes (rattes) and Pan-Grilled Zucchini (MJ@Home, p173), which I did under the broiler, with the rack in the lower position. Go the timing exactly right, not that I noted the time, but they were perfect. Some store-bought "rice cakes with caramel" for dessert. Yum.

Yogurt on overnight.

Thursday/8-Dec-16: Small chats with Sydney and Jody today. Leftover tamale pie for dinner, along with salad of avaocao, tomato, shallot, lime juice, cilantro, etc. No dessert needed.

Friday/9-Dec-16: Quick dinner tonight, but tasty: One Pot Parmesan Pasta (web). The pasta was kind of cooked risotto-style, with liquid being added by the ladleful along the way. A neat idea, but the cooking time for the pasta is way off; mine was ready about 12-13 minutes, where the recipe ask 18-20! Could add mushrooms, or other veggies to the mix. Served with a salad. A square of chocolate for after.

Saturday/10-Dec-16: We had our main meal early today, so we could go to a movie. We had Butternut Squash Tarte Tatin (web), which was pretty good, but I'm not sure what was gained by turning it upside down so the pastry was on the bottom when it was served. I've put the leftovers in pastry-side up. Then a big salad. I rolled out the extra pastry and lined a small tart dish. Then made a filling of a chopped up apple, some cinnamon and cardamon and a spoonful of brown sugar. Served with a dollop of crème fraîche. Not bad at all.

Sunday/11-Dec-16: Went to a couple of xmas markets today. Didn't buy anything. Lot of nice Stuff to buy, but we don't need any more Stuff. I'm trying to get rid of it!

Dinner was Pastasotto et Se Boulettes de Boeuf à la Moutarde Amora (VPG, web). Except this originally came from an Amora mustard ad, but I got it from VPG. Sh, don't tell, I used Maille Dijon instead of Amora. By sheer coincidence, this is the second pasta-cooked-in-a-risotto-fashion meal I've made this week. Pretty good, except that salt was nowhere an ingredient and it was needed. (I don't add salt to my chicken stock.) The meatballs were especially. Mustard, herbes de Provence, dried parsley flakes, one egg, and some chapelure (bread crumbs). (It was supposed to be two egg yolks, but I didn't want to deal with yet more extra whites, so I used a whole egg. Worked fine.)

Progress on goals
This week: #1 BACKLOG: no; #2 VEG/FISH: 4
This month: #3 PASTA: no; #4 BREAD: no; #5 FotW: no for November/December

No comments:

Post a Comment