Thursday, November 24, 2016

Thanksgiving 2016


relish tray
Kaye's Pickled Green Beans
Spiced Marinated Mushrooms
carrot sticks
mixed olives

Marinated Roasted Brussels Sprouts 
with Rucola

Roast Turkey
Sweet Potato-Carrot Puff
Chef Paul Prudhomme's Cornbread Dressing
Cranberry-Port Relish
Gravy
sliced baguettes

Brouilly
Fleuri

Pumpkin Swirl Cheesecake

Another fairly light Thanksgiving  this year. For guests, we had Tina and Albia from Ed's Montbron choir, and Bill, who's visiting. Bill asked for a proper turkey, so that's what we had. I neglected to take any photos of the food, but here is Ed carving the turkey.


For the relish tray, I made with my Pickled Green Beans (MC) and Spiced Marinated Mushrooms (MC). Served with with carrot sticks and store-bought mixed olives.

For a starter there was Marinated Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Rucola. I used the marinade as the vinaigrette for the rucola. This is really two recipes smerged together. If I can ever run Mastercook again (hoping a new motherboard for the Cube someday lets it start up), I'll enter what I do as a single recipe. This is becoming another standard.

As go-withs there were my old standards, Sweet Potato-Carrot Puff (MC) and Chef Paul Prudhomme's Cornbread Dressing (MC). A double-dose of the puff overfilled my oval casserole, so we have a bit extra of that, still to be cooked. I used a 300g package of gesiers/gizzards for the dressing.

And, of course, there again was Cranberry-Port Relish (MC), a recipe that came from VT originally, but I've reduced the sugar. It's a really tasty and simple-to-make cranberry sauce. So much better than the canned stuff. All eaten but a spoonful, the first time that's happened. And some pretty good gravy made with chicken stock.

For bread there was a sliced baguette, but not much of that got eaten.

The five of us had two bottles of Beaujolais, one Brouilly and the other Fleurie, both 2012. In the past we've liked Fleurie, but tonight the Brouilly was the hit.

And, finally, there was some Pumpkin Swirl Cheesecake (web), which was a Thanksgiving first, and delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment