Monday, November 28, 2016

Cookbook Countdown: Turkey Hash and Lacy-Edged Batty Cakes

Thanksgiving has passed and company has gone home. Time for one more meal from Time-Life Foods of the World American Cooking: Southern Style. We had Turkey Hash  (p14) with Lacy-Edged Batty Cakes (p14). These apparently go together to make a traditional Kentucky Derby breakfast.

I made half recipes of the hash and the batty cakes. The hash says it serves 6. The half recipe easily served two for dinner; three might have been a stretch unless accompanied by a big salad or some such.

To make the turkey hash, first sauté some onion and green bell pepper. When those are soft, add some sliced mushrooms; I used shiitakes, since that's what I had in the fridge. When the liquid from the shrooms has evaporated, stir in some flour, then some stock. (I used chicken stock from the freezer, since I haven't made my turkey stock yet.) When the stock boils and thickens slightly, stir in some turkey meat (I picked a selection of light and dark meat from my turkey carcass), chopped parsley, Worcestershire sauce, and salt. If it seems too dry, you can stir in spoonfuls of cream, but I didn't think this was necessary. Nothing fancy here, but plain good food.


The batty cakes are cornmeal pancakes. I can't say these were really successful, but they were certainly good enough to to serve as a base for the hash.

Stop by Cookbook Countdown to see what other folks are making from their November cookbook. Why don't you choose a cookbook from your shelf and join in?

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your KD breakfast sounds delish from your writeup!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks good. It would be nice and filling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never had a turkey hash! Looks and sounds good! Hope you had a good Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops... this comment is from me, Joyce. Forgotten to sign in as Kitchen Flavours!

      Delete