Saturday, November 12, 2016

Cookbook Countdown: Shrimp Pilau

It was dinner from Time-Life Foods of the World American Cooking: Southern Style once again tonight. We had Shrimp Pilau (p29). Can't say I ever thought of this kind of dish as especially southern, but here it is.

Instead of fresh or canned tomatoes, I used some of the "purée" that I froze up from our summer crop. And I used lardons, which is easily available in France and always in the freezer, for the bacon bits. The lardons yielded only about a teaspoon of fat (European pigs seem to be much leaner than US ones), so I added another bit of olive oil before sautéing a pile of chopped onions. When the onions were soft, I added the rice, already rinsed, and stirred till it was well-coated with the oil. Then I added chicken stock (also from the freezer), along with Worcestershire sauce (the real one, carefully measured), ground mace, cayenne, and salt. (I added somewhat less salt than asked, and we found it it fine at the table. This is a bit surprising since I don't salt my chicken stock when I make it. So the recipe might be a bit salty.) This mixture is brought to a boil, then covered and baked at 350F for 30 minutes. Then the shrimp and bacon bits are stirred, covered, and baked another ten minutes. Out of the oven, the pot sits another ten minutes. Serve, sprinkled with chopped parsley, and enjoy!


The recipe says it should serve 4-6. I made a half recipe and we have at least one more full serving leftover, or maybe two smaller servings for lunch.

Stop by Cookbook Countdown to see what other folks are making from their November cookbook. Why don't you choose a cookbook from your shelf and join in?

1 comment:

  1. This sounds and looks delicious! I love pilau, but somehow have never tried one with shrimps before. Have seen lots of recipes using shrimp though. I don't mind any leftovers!

    ReplyDelete