Sunday, November 6, 2016

Cookbook Countdown: Maryland Fried Chicken with Cream Gravy

Another dinner from Time-Life Foods of the World American Cooking: Southern Style. Tonight we continued the Southern fried food tradition with Maryland Fried Chicken with Cream Gravy (p38).

Poor Ed, who really loves fried chicken, has lived with me for more than forty years and never had good fried chicken at home. I've never been able to make it properly. Until tonight. I think in the past I've been afraid of using so much oil, and probably I didn't wait until it was good and hot before slipping the chicken bits in. But here it is, simple as can be. About an inch of oil, almost at the smoke point, chicken thighs dried, salted, and peppered, then dipped in flour and slipped skin-side-down into the hot oil. The recipe says to cook them for about 12 minutes, turning frequently; I thought it took a bit longer for them to get nicely golden. 


As you get the pieces cooked, put them on a paper-towel lines plate and into a very low oven to stay warm while you make the cream gravy. Sorry, I served the gravy over mashed potatoes, not over the chicken.


My mother and her mother before always made fried chicken with cream gravy. They did not come from Maryland. How did this tradition end up in Kansas, I wonder?

Stop by Cookbook Countdown to see what other folks are making from their November cookbook. Why don't you choose a cookbook from your shelf and join in?

4 comments:

  1. Fried chicken! Almost everyone I know, would be all smiles if fried chicken is on the dinner meal. Your fried chicken looks perfectly golden and delicious! Gravy over mashed potatoes, anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have NEVER been able to make good fried chicken. Maybe, like you, I just needed this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There seemed to be nothing particularly special about this recipe. Just that I used plenty of oil and I let it get really hot before I put the thighs in. I think those things are the tricks. I usually try to skimp on the oil, and am too impatient to wait for the proper heat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that looks so authentic! and tasty!

    ReplyDelete