Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Cookbook Countdown: Smokin' Cajun Chicken

Tonight's Desperation Dinner was Smokin' Cajun Chicken (p264). If you've already made up the Super Seasoning Mix, this is a meal that goes together lickety-split. Even if you haven't, it's still quick.

The spice mix is paprika (I used smoked paprika), garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, black pepper, cayenne, basil, and oregano. Once the mix is made, you put it into a ziploc bag and then add the skinless, boneless chicken breasts halves (much easier in Dutch, kip filets). Or, as I did, you put the mixture onto a shallow plate and press the kip filets into the mixture. Mis-remembering the recipe, I also flattened my kip filets by putting them between waxed paper and whapping them with a rolling pin before coating with the spice mixture. The chicken is then quickly cooked in butter, several minutes on each side, until done. I made a quick pan sauce by deglazing the pan with some chicken stock (sh! it was from a cube) and adding a dab more butter.


This is actually kind of a kind of a standard fast dinner here. Flatten some kip filets, spice them up as you want, and sauté quickly till done. The pan sauce is a nice finishing gesture.

Since I was cooking only half the number of kip filets, I made only half the spice mixture. Actually it would be worthwhile making double the amount shown, so you have this available for another quick and tasty meal.

Stop by Cookbook Countdown to see what other folks are making from their October cookbook. If you've got books on your shelf wanting to be used, why don't you choose one and join in?

2 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! I like smoked paprika, one of the spice that I used quite often. I'm all for the cube stock. I used to make my own chicken stock, but it takes time and freezer space! And not necessarily economical either. A good chicken stock cube makes it all the easier! A time saver too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lookin' good, Kaye. I love a good Cajun seasoning. Tony's usually since I live in Louisiana.

    ReplyDelete