Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Cookbook Countdown: Golden Fried Fillets and Orzo with Mushrooms and Sun-Dired Tomatoes

Tonight's Desperation Dinner was Golden Fried Fillets (p275) served with Orzo with Mushrooms and Sun-Dried Tomatoes (p323).

Lieu noir (saithe or pollack) was on special today, so that was the fish-of-the-day. In this recipe, the fish is coated with crushed cereal flakes (I used corn flakes) mixed with flour and Old Bay seasoning, then sautéed in butter. (I used a mixture of butter and olive oil. We found it a bit bland, maybe because my Old Bay is ancient. This dish was okay, but would be better with a zingier flavoring, like the cajun mixture from my previous Desperation Dinner.

The orzo was quite good. My husband has a "thing" for orzo, so I'm always looking for a new way to serve it. This recipe asked for already-sliced mushrooms and sun-dried tomatoes to be microwaved in a bit of water before stirring into the drained orzo with some Parmesan. I sliced my own mushrooms (pleurotes, oesterzwammen, oyster mushrooms) and used oven-dried tomatoes from the freezer. No microwave, so I sautéed them briefly in a bit of olive oil. I put some extra Parmesan on top


Stop by Cookbook Countdown to see what other folks are making from their October cookbook. If you've got books on your shelf wanting to be used, why don't you choose one and join in?

3 comments:

  1. I tried cereal coated and pan fried fish before, and liked it! And I do have orzo in the pantry and sole fillet in the freezer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going for grocery shopping tomorrow and orzo is on the list! I've tried chicken coated in corn flakes, but not fish fillet. This sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks really good. I love fish. Always looking for new ways to cook it.

    ReplyDelete