Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Cookbook Countdown: Fish Fillets with Tomato and Wine Vinegar Sauce plus Radish Salad

Continuing with my Foods of the World project, this month it's time for Time-Life Foods of the World: Middle Eastern Cooking. So far this has been an enjoyable read, and I've marked lots of recipes to try.


Tonight's dinner was Psari Savori—Fish Fillets with Tomato and Wine Vinegar Sauce (p63), from Greece. The recipe calls for porgy. No idea what that might be in French. Instead I used lieu noir, and which seems to be saithe in English, but that doesn't help me much. In spite of the black in the name, this cooks up as a lovely white fish that we enjoy frequently.

The fish are simply dredged in flour and fried in olive oil. The sauce is what makes this a nice dish. There are peeled, seeded, and finely chopped tomatoes, the first from the potager this summer; a tiny dab of tomato paste; red wine vinegar; finely chopped garlic; a crumbled bayleaf; salt; and freshly ground black pepper. These good things are boiled briskly together until the mixture is quite thick.


The recipe suggests serving the fish with crusty bread and a green salad, which is what I'd planned. But I skipped a beat as I started cooking and made Salat Znonit Beshament—Radish and Sour Cream Salad (p87), from Israel. I'd planned this for a meal of lamb later in the week (and will make it again, since this was a hit).

The dressing is sour cream, red wine vinegar, sugar, salt, and freshly ground black pepper. This is tossed with thinly sliced radishes and red onion. Simple. Delicious. My only criticism is that there's too much dressing for the amount of veggies, but that's easily remedied.


Stop by Cookbook Countdown to see what other folks are making from their September cookbook. And if you've got books on your shelf wanting to be used, why don't you choose one and join in?

6 comments:

  1. Your radish and sour cream salad looks good! Might try that when I next buy cherry radishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good, Kaye. I believe porgy is known as bream in England.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been trying out new fish recipes lately, and mostly using tomatoes. This dish looks like one I will enjoy. The salad looks good, makes a perfect side dish. Thanks for sharing another interesting cuisine from your Time-Life Foods of the World series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you have the whole set of these books. They are wonderful. I came THIS close to using one this month. Love any fish recipe.

    {Saithe is pollack here in the US}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, have the whole set. Got them as they were issued in the 70s and have been toting them around since then. At the start of 2014, I started a project to read and cook from each of them. If all goes well, I'll finish this year.
      Saithe=pollack. I'll try to remember that.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete