Saturday, September 17, 2016

Cookbook Countdown: Baked Tomatoes Stuffed with Rice

For the day's roast chicken, I made a side dish from Time-Life Foods of the World: Middle Eastern Cooking. That was Domates Yemite me Rizi—Baked Tomatoes Stuffed with Rice (p82), from Greece.

The stuffed tomatoes are supposed to be eaten at room temperature. This would make them a good buffet kind of food if people are sitting down to eat. They'd be fine to make ahead.

Rice is half-cooked and drained. (I used basmati, but it might be nice to use a brown rice and cook it just a bit longer here.) The tomatoes are hollowed out, salted, and turned over to drain. The innards are chopped for use in the filling. Minced onion is sautéed, then the rice, tomato pulp, some tomato purée, parsley (oops, I forgot to by parsley and last week's bunch didn't last, so I used the frozen stuff), mint, garlic, oregano, and S&P are all stirred in. Rather than defrosting two cups of my frozen tomato purée for the less than half cup needed for a half recipe, I used a small amount of uncooked purée with a bit of tomato paste, both from the freezer.

This mixture is cooked till it's fairly dry, then stuffed in the tomato shells. Some reserved tomato purée is poured around the tomatoes and all is baked for 20 minutes at 350F. (I had no leftover purée, so I buzzed up a fresh tomato and called that purée.) Result: A tasty side dish for a roast chicken.


 Stop by Cookbook Countdown to see what other folks are making from their September cookbook. And if you've got books on your shelf wanting to be used, why don't you choose one and join in?

2 comments:

  1. Oh yes, this would indeed be a great side dish for a roast chicken! I have never made stuffed tomatoes before and these look yummy!

    ReplyDelete