Monday, August 1, 2016

This week in the kitchen

Monday/1-Aug-16: A bit of a confusing day. I forgot we meant to go to a movie tonight and Ed remembered. At lunch, we went through the yes/no routine and decided to go tomorrow, but I remembered that we were going today. So I got ready at the appropriate time, only to find Ed out mowing. Quick replan for dinner. First choice required lemons. None in house. Next choice was a half recipe of Skillet Shrimp in Garlic Sauce (365Mexican, p104). Pretty good stuff, easy and fast. Served over polenta, followed by a salad. Small ice creams for dessert.

Still haven't decided what to do with Cookbook Countdown. Should do my Time-Life cookbook (Viennese Empire), but I don't think I'll be doing that much from it, especially since sauerkraut isn't in season. Thought too late that I could do this Mexican cookbook, which is a hand-me-down that I've never used, but I didn't get a picture of tonight's dinner. Need to decide before too long.

Tuesday/2-Aug-16: So, this evening we made it to the movie. When we got back, I made sandwiches from the rest of the baba ganoush with cilantro-mint chutney, and a salad with the rest of our head of lettuce. That's all, folks.

I think I've decided to do only the Time-Life book for Cookbook Countdown this month, even though there probably won't be that many recipes. Sensible me.

Yogurt on overnight.

Wednesday/3-Aug-16: Shopping today.

We were thinking about going to a marché de producteurs this evening, but decided not to go. Instead we barbecued the aurochs merguez that we bought at the last marché de producteurs we went to. I made a potato salad, loosely following Joy of Cooking, potatoes with a lemon vinaigrette, and all sorts of bits, hard-boiled egg, cornichons, black olives, red onion, capers, cucumber. And some grilled eggplant slices, basted with olive oil and a bit of Moroccan spice mix.

Our cucumber plant in the potager has started producing seriously. Looking for cucumber recipes, as I now have three in-house already.

Thursday/4-Aug-16: Dinner was Salmon with Lime-Hoisin Glaze with Crunchy Bok Choy Slaw (web; cookbooker). Meant to serve with brown rice, but forgot my intention and made basmati rice instead. That's all folks. (I'd been munching all day, naughty me.)

Friday/5-Aug-16: For dinner we had the leftover broccoli-gorgonzola quiche, with a salad topped with Lemon and Sour-Cream Salad Dressing. For dessert, there was Melons Stuffed with Cherries and Whipped Cream.

Yogurt on overnight.

Saturday/6-Aug-16: We had a picnic today before visiting an abbey. Then had an English tea after the visit. We almost didn't feel like dinner, but I made Spicy Garlic Seafood Spaghetti (web). In general this was good. But, spicy? I don't think so, even with the extra red pepper flakes that I added. And two cans of crab seemed a bit too much. We're full.

Sunday/7-Aug-16: I seemed to be in the kitchen all day, but it doesn't feel like I accomplished that much. Made the broth for tomorrow's ice cream. In the morning, I prepped the pasta for our dinner, Schinkenfleckerln. Served this with a salad, again using the Lemon and Sour-Cream Salad Dressing. Ed had an ice cream bar to finish up. I skipped dessert.

Progress on goals
This week: #1 BACKLOG: no; #2 VEG/FISH: 5
This month: #3 PASTA: no; #4 BREAD: no; #5 FotW: yes for Jul/Aug

No comments:

Post a Comment