Friday, August 5, 2016

Cookbook Countdown: Lemon and Sour-Cream Salad Dressing

This month I'm back to my Time-Life Foods of the World project, cooking from Time-Life Foods of the World: Cooking of Vienna's Empire. This wasn't one of my favorite books, reading-wise, and a lot of the appealing recipes are for more wintery weather, which isn't what we're having right now. There are several sauerkraut recipes that look good, but there was no sauerkraut in the shop when I looked last week, so those will have to wait till later in the year.

I started with a really easy recipe. This was Lemon and Sour-Cream Salad Dressing—Saur Rahmsauce für Salat (p67). Stir together sour cream, lemon juice (1/4 of the sour cream), a bit of sugar (I think I skipped this when I got distracted by pets coming in), salt, and freshly ground back pepper. (Of course, I made this with crème fraîche instead of sour cream, but I bet that's what you'd have in Vienna also.) Serve with fresh cucumbers or salad greens, as you see here, topped with croutons.


Stop by Cookbook Countdown to see what other folks are making from their August cookbook. And if you've got books on your shelf wanting to be used, why don't you choose one and join in?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kaye,
    Cooking with Vienna's cuisine sounds interesting! That is a simple and lovely salad, the kind of salad that I like. Croutons, is one of my favourite ingredients to add to a salad!

    ReplyDelete