Monday, July 4, 2016

This week in the kitchen

Monday/4-Jul-16: Geesh, between the official end of TLNorthW and 30MinInd,  last week I published five extra posts for Cookbook Countdown. Didn't I say earlier that I didn't want to get involved with one of these posting things again? Oh well.

Dinner was Lemon Grass Chicken with Chilli (HotWok, p144), served with Thai-Style Cauliflower (HotWok, p181) and plain basmati rice. Haven't used this book in a long time, so this was fun. The chicken was a bit salty (even though I remembered not to add extra salt because Hom's recipes usually have plenty of salt from soy sauce). But all was tasty. Small serving of Hot Chocolate Ice Cream with a bit of cream, for dessert.

Tuesday/5-Jul-16: A bit of a smish-smash for dinner using up lots of odd bits. The main course was Seared Peppered Pork Loin with Cucumber Mint Salsa (web), using something like pork chops. The cucumber salsa was especially good. And there was corn on the cob. And some Chile-Roasted Broccoli (web), not quite enough, done in the toaster oven so I didn't have to heat a bit oven; easy and pretty good. And some grilled violet artichokes, loosely following a web recipe I can't find now. (Basically, clean them, boil them most of the way, grill the rest of the way, then toss with a strong lemon vinaigrette with some chopped kalamatas for the salt.) All good, if an odd assembly. Then some ice creams for dessert.

Wednesday/6-Jul-16: How nice to get back to our old Wednesday shopping schedule. The store is really much emptier. I impulse-bought a bundle of rhubarb, so need to do something with that soon.

No tuna today, so it wasn't seared tuna steaks, but Seared Swordfish Steaks (HowTo, p187) for dinner. Served topped with Roasted Pepper Relish with Olives, Capers, and Rosemary (HowTo, p173), with a side of trio rice. Then a big salad, using some of the croutons I made last weekend. Then more of the Hot Chocolate Ice Cream with a bit of milk. All good.

After dinner, we went to friends' house to water plants while they're away and came away with more than three cups of blueberries. Something else for tomorrow.

Yogurt on overnight.

Thursday/7-Jul-16: A bit of cooking today, if not as much as I'd planned.

Used the blueberries to make a Blueberry Cobbler. Started with a recipe from a little brochure I copied from Tiffany long ago, but it had an oddness in the ingredients (it asked for "1 cube of butter"). I found a very similar recipe online, that called for 1/2 cup of butter, and merged the two. (I used less than 1/2 cup butter, since there was something less than that in the butter dish.) [I actually put a brief version of the recipe here, but Blogger has garbled it. Maybe I'll do it again, or maybe not.]

Made a quarter recipe of Tandoori Masala (web), so I could make the sauce to put a half recipe of Tandoori Chicken (30MinInd, p40) on to marinate for the night.

Dinner was boudin noir served with the Rhubarb Chutney I made a couple of weeks ago and some of Clothilde Dusoulier's Perfect Roasted Potatoes (web). The chutney was super; I may need to make some more from the batch I just bought, or from our garden rhubarb, which is starting to think about being harvestable.

Friday/8-Jul-16: This morning I made Cauliflower Relish from 30MinInd, thinking it was for tonight, but it's really for tomorrow and Monday. Date challenged, I am.

Tonight's dinner we had Tandoori Chicken, Spiced Beets, and Coconut Rice. Followed by more blueberry cobbler.

Saturday/9-Jul-16: Tonight's dinner was Chile-Lime Pork (web), marinated several hours, then cooked on the bbq. Very good stuff. Served with polenta, leftover Spiced Beets (still good), and the Cauliflower Relish (not so good). (Will write that up with Monday's dinner, since I forgot to take a picture today.)

Sunday/10-Jul-16: Ed had a choir concert today and we had pizza afterwards.

Yogurt on overnight.

Progress on goals
This week: #1 BACKLOG: no; #2 VEG/FISH: 1
This month: #3 PASTA: no; #4 BREAD: no; #5 FotW: no for Jul/Aug

No comments:

Post a Comment