Monday, July 25, 2016

Cookbook Countdown: Mutter Paneer

Our main meal today included Mutter Panner (p81) from 30 Minute Indian. To get that started, I made Paneer (p34) earlier in the day.

I've made paneer before, using a Madhur Jaffrey recipe. This one is a bit easier to put together but the directions are not very good and the resulting amount seems to be off.

Paneer is actually quite simple to make. Bring some whole milk to a boil, stir in lemon juice, remove from the fire, and let sit for 15 minutes. The last bit is from Madhur Jaffrey, and I think these are important instructions for successful paneer. The resulting curdled milk is strained (I lined my sieve with a clean dish towel), the smooshed together and pressed. Jaffrey has you wrap it in cheesecloth and hang it from the faucet. I found the pressing business worked fine for removing the excess liquid. My lump of paneer (that's a salad plate with a regular knife for size in the photo) weighed in something over 3 ounces, where I should have had 5 according to Vijayakar. The amount was sufficient for the Mutter Paneer, but a bit more wouldn't have hurt.


The resulting Mutter Paneer was tasty, but I'm not sure it came in under 30 minutes. There was a lot of measuring and chopping to be done, and we have to have our tomatoes seeded here, so that too a bit longer.

First mustard seeds, cumin seeds, a cinnamon/cassis stick, a dried red chili, cloves, and cardamom are toasted in oil. Then a finely chopped onion is added. Then grated ginger, smashed garlic, cayenne, garam masala, turmeric, dhanajeera*, and brown sugar are stirred in. Then tomatoes, paneer, peas, and water are stirred in, and everything is simmered covered for 10 minutes. Finally, some crème fraîche should be stirred in, but I forgot that. I served the mutter paneer over plain basmati rice.

*Dhanajeera appears to be a 1:2 mixture of ground cumin and ground coriander.

This was quite tasty and a bit on the hot side. I set out my jar of lime pickle, hoping to use it up so I could defrost a jar to see if the freezing helped with the tough rind. But this dish turned out to be quite hot and what was needed was a bit of chutney. The Tamarind & Date Chutney went very well.


Stop by Cookbook Countdown to see what other folks are making from their July cookbook. And if you've got books on your shelf wanting to be used, why don't you choose one and join in?

1 comment:

  1. I like spicy dishes and I think that I would like this very much! wonderful to see you are using your homemade pickles and chutneys too!

    ReplyDelete