Saturday, July 2, 2016

Cookbook Countdown: Lime Pickle and Tamarind & Date Chutney

This was a kitchen day and two recipes from Sunil Vijayakar's 30 Minute Indian were on my list of things to do.

I started with Lime Pickle (p35). Indian pickle recipes are actually rather difficult to find. I've made a lime pickle from Madhur Jaffrey that was pretty successful, and another sort that was fairly disgusting. Lime pickle being a household favorite, I could hardly pass up this recipe.

The recipe says it makes "1 jar" which is about as vague as you can get. Ten limes cut into six sections pretty well filled the largest bowl of my 3-bowl Pyrex set of nexted bowls, that's 2-1/2 quarts, I think. I'm guessing this may go into a 1-quart/liter jar when it's ready, and wondering who I can share with.


I found it difficult to see how I was going to put the limes into a jar and then mix in the salt and spices (toasted and ground fenugreek and black mustard seeds, cayenne, turmeric, and more asafetida than I've ever seen in a single recipe) as instructed. So I've put it all in a bowl, which now sits covered with a cloth for ten days to ripen. I'll report back later on this.

I also made Tamarind and Date Chutney (p30). As chutneys go, this one is fairly simple to make. No cooking, all the ingredients—dates, tamarind paste, ground cumin, cayenne, tomato ketchup (I used tomato paste), water, and salt—get zapped together. And then it's chutney. I tasted and added an extra bit of tamarind paste, since I really like that sour taste against the sweet. At first taste this chutney is almost too sweet from the dates, but then the flavor of the tamarind and spices kicks in and it brightens up. Very promising. I put one jar in the freezer and the other in the fridge to try in the next weeks.


Stop by Cookbook Countdown to see what other folks are making from their July cookbook. And if you've got unused books on your shelf, why don't you choose one and join in?

3 comments:

  1. I love pickles but have not tried making lime pickles before. It would be interesting to see how yours turns out. I like asafetida, I've used a generous pinch in one of Madhur Jaffrey's cabbage recipes, and it gives such a delicious flavour. The tamarind and date chutney sounds good. Sunil Vijayakar sounds familiar to me, thought that I have one of his books. Check my bookshelves and found the book, it's not a curry book, but frozen dessert, Irresistible Ice Pops! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lime pickles are my favorite, and Jaffrey's recipe was pretty good. Meanwhile, I've remembered that one of the things I *didn't* like about it was that the pieces of lime were too big. As sixths of a lime, these are even bigger. I'm thinking about cutting each sixth into thirds, a bit of tedious work. Still, it smells pretty good when I stir it each day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I laughed when I saw the Ice Pops book at Amazon! Actually he has a couple of books that look interesting. I found I have his slow cooker book on my want list.

    ReplyDelete