Thursday, June 30, 2016

Cookbook Countdown: Spicy Pan-Fried Cod

For July, I start a new book in my Time-Life Foods of the World project. Since I'll read most of the hardback book before I start cooking from the recipe book, it will be several weeks I'm posting about that food. In the meantime, I thought I'd try to work in an extra book for Cookbook Countdown, 30 Minute Indian, by Sunil Vijayakar.


I'm sure I read some good reviews of this book somewhere that encouraged me to find myself a copy. But it's never really caught my eye. I make lots of Indian food, but mostly from Madhur Jaffrey or Julie Sahni or recipes from the web.  Nobody here is going to complain about eating even more Indian this month, so I'lI use this opportunity to see if this book is one that needs to stay on the shelf or to make its way to the charity shop.

This being shopping day, tonight's dinner was fish, Spicy Pan-Fried Cod (p60), using lieu noir, which is distantly related to cod and happened to be on sale this week. To start, you make a paste of besan (chickpea of gram flour) with all-purpose flour, amchoor, cayenne, cumin seeds, grated fresh ginger, a garlic clove, and salt. This should be dusted on the fish, but given the fresh ginger and garlic, this was not very dustable, so I just rubbed it on. Then the fillets are quickly fried. That's all there is to it. And very tasty they were.


I served the fish with Spicy, Sour Potatoes with Cumin and Amchoor (using some of the extra potatoes I cooked for our Basque Potatoes dinner), Zucchini in a Yogurt Dressing, and plain basmati rice. (The potatoes and zucchini, both also quick to make, are old favorites from Jaffrey's Spice Kitchen.)

Stop by Cookbook Countdown to see what other folks are making from their July cookbook.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kaye,
    I have four books lined up to select from for this month, and one of it is Madhur Jaffrey's. Due to the hot weather, David Lebovitz's ice cream book won! We love Indian cuisine. Your fried fish sounds very delicious with all the spices! And great pairing with the potatoes and zucchini.

    ReplyDelete