Thursday, June 23, 2016

Cookbook Countdown: Mushroom-and-Potato Soup

Continuing with American Cooking: The Northwest, my Time-Life Foods of the World book for the last half of May and June, tonight's dinner was Mushroom-and-Potato Soup (p6). Considering that this is the second hottest day of the year so far, a nice, hot soup might not have been the best choice, but when I was making the meal plan we were still having unseasonably cool and damp weather. Nevermind, it was soup for dinner tonight.

The recipe says it serves 8 to 10, but I suspect this is not as a main course. For the two of us, I made a half recipe, and I think it would have served three as a main. (I froze the rest for another day.)

The soup takes a bit of time to make, but nothing is difficult and you can be busy with other things for much of the time. You start by slicing an enormous pile of mushrooms. I used shiitakes since they looked especially good on shopping day, and I'm trying to encourage the store to stock them regularly. These are stewed in butter with some finely chopped onion for about 20 minutes. Then you add chicken stock, potato slices, and salt, and simmer for another 25 minutes. (I needed quite a bit more salt than asked since I don't salt my chicken stock when I make it.) 

 

Meanwhile, sauté some finely chopped celery, scallions, and parsley till the celery is very soft. Mix some sour cream with a slog of the mushroom-cooking stock, stir that into the celery and herbs, bring it to a boil, then stir it into the mushroom and potato mixture. Serve topped with a bit of fresh dill and freshly ground pepper, and enjoy a tasty and satisfying soup.


Stop by Cookbook Countdown to see what other folks are making from their June cookbook. You could even join in if you want!

2 comments:

  1. Looks good and makes such a hearty meal by itself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love mushrooms and I've made mushroom and potato soup once and we love it. Using celery and parsley sounds very fragrant and delicious. This soup would be great with some crusty bread!

    ReplyDelete