Monday, May 16, 2016

This week in the kitchen

Monday/16-May-16: Last night I was sitting here wondering if it was the night to make yogurt, and finally decided it wasn't. Wrong. So, yogurt on overnight tonight, but no yogurt for breakfast tomorrow.

Froze up lots and lots of chicken stock.

Dinner was a half recipe of Sweet Potato Cottage Pie (web). It was good; Ed especially liked it. The half should feed 2-3. Two of us managed to eat it all, but it was a stretch. For dessert we split a slice of a yummy chocolate-walnut tart that I bought at the boulanger today. A whole piece each would be too much; the half piece was just right.

Tuesday/17-May-16: Off to the ENT today to get a T-tube in my right eardrum. I got an (optional) injection before it was done. The right side of my face collapsed, my eyebrow and eyelid drooped, but I couldn't close my eye, my nose was stopped up, my mouth was frozen. Very uncomfortable. Unfortunately, the anesthesia didn't really effect my ear and it was a pretty painful procedure. (Which I get to do again on the other side before long.)

Dinner was a half recipe of Scallops with Asparagus (web). I had a very fixed idea that this was a pasta sauce, but they meant for you to serve the scallops with the asparagus bit as a sauce. I put them all over tagliatelle. Should have made a salad, but didn't feel like it. Finished the Brillat-Savarin for afters. Then a square of chocolate.

Wednesday/18-May-16: Early main meal today, so Ed could go sing this evening. We had Flank Steak Salad with Plums and Blue Cheese (web). Ed liked it, but thought it was a surprising combination. It would have been nice if it had been a warm, sunny day so we could eat it outside. Oh well. I used bavettes instead of flank steak. Some day I really have to look up bavettes in my French cookery book and flank steak in my US butchery book to see what the difference is.

Thursday/19-May-16: Dinner was a half recipe of Curried Chicken & Broccoli Casserole (web; cookbooker). Edible, but fairly forgettable. Way too little curry powder asked. I more than doubled it, and it was still pretty wimpy.

Friday/20-May-16: Shopping today, after delivering some books (somebody else's, not ours!) to the Hope shop in Confolens. Strangely, they have a piece of fabric on sale there that's the same fabric I used to make a cushion for the rattan chair in the living room. I bought that at the fabric market in Amsterdam, so it's funny to see it here. I was strong and resisted buying it. The shopping list held six jars of spices, two of cumin seeds, ground cumin, ground cinnamon, ground coriander, and cayenne. Why all in one week? There are lots of C spices. Also in my recipe notebooks, Cs predominate.

Dinner was Pan-Seared Salmon for Two (web, the for-two version doesn't seem to be available any more, but it's no big deal). The interesting thing about this is that the salmon is brined (1qt water+1/4 cup salt) for 15 minutes before cooking. I didn't do the pan-searing bit, but cooked under the broiler. Served with Mango-Mint Salsa (web) made with defrosted mango slices, some trio rice, and Lemon Asparagus with Chive Blossoms (web). All good. Some chocolate squares for dessert.

I forgot to make yogurt last night (again), so ... yogurt on overnight.

Saturday/21-May-16: A busy-in-the-kitchen day. First, Cornmeal Buttermilk Pancakes for breakfast (MC). An old recipe. Yummy and easy. Tried out the pineau syrup I bought recently. Yes, it tastes like pineau. Not for pancakes though. Back to maple syrup.

For lunch there was Turmeric-Tomato-Black Pepper Soup (web). I used up some of my home-made tomato purée and used real tomatoes rather than cherry toms. Pretty good, although the turmeric was a bit strong.

Made Apple-Plum Butter (HandyBook) for Ed.

Made some Roasted Ground Cumin to replenish my supply.

Had a forgettable dinner out, where a friend's band was playing.

Sunday/22-May-16: Dinner was Eggplant in a Tahini Mustard Sauce (web), served over basmati rice, with Spicy Cucumber Wedges (MJ1, p172) on the side. The eggplant was very forgettable. Topped up with some of the Caribbean mango chutney I make, it was edible, but not really enjoyable. Can't win them all, I guess. Mini mags for afters.

Progress on goals
This week: #1 BACKLOG: no; #2 VEG/FISH: 3
This month: #3 PASTA: no; #4 BREAD: no; #5 FotW: yes for April/May; no for May/June

No comments:

Post a Comment