Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Cookbook Countdown : Rhubarb Ring with Strawberries

My Time-Life Foods of the World book for the last half of May and June is American Cooking: The Northwest. (Only four more to go to finish the project at the end of the year.)


It's rhubarb season, and I already had my eye on a rhubarb-strawberry pie for this week, since rhubarb is in season (at least at the shops, not yet in my garden). When I saw this rather retro treat, Rhubarb Ring with Strawberries (p115), I made a quick change to the meal plan to use what I'd already bought.


Foods set with gelatin seem to have fallen out of fashion, but I still enjoy them occasionally. Plus I have a lifetime supply of gelatin that I'm trying to make a dent in. (I once asked someone to send me either two or three 4-packs of gelatin, or one 10-pack. Instead I got three 10-packs. Very well supplied, I am!)

This recipe calls for 2 pounds of fresh rhubarb to make 4 cups of 1/2" pieces. I had a kilo of rhubarb, but my 4-cup measure was full with 1 pound left over. (The leftover bit turned into a very yummy Strawberry Rhubarb Quick Jam.) The rhubarb is cooked with sugar for 10 minutes (I used only 3/4 cup instead of the 1 cup asked). Meanwhile gelation gets softened in water, then stirred into the cooked rhubarb. Then all gets poured into a 1-quart mold. Not having a 1-quart mold, I used my smaller bundt pan, which probably hold about two quarts.

After chilling, the rhubarb ring is served with strawberries and whipped cream with a tablespoon of sugar and another of rum added. That bit of rum was a seriously good touch.

Much of my rhubarb not the seriously red kind, but only red-tinged. The result was kind of a pea-green ring, rather than the bright red offered in the book. Maybe not as pretty, but very tasty.


Stop by Cookbook Countdown to see what other folks are making from their June cookbook. You could even join in if you want!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Kaye! Do add this post to CC#5!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a my next book. I'm saving it for CC#6 tomorrow!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kaye,
    I have always wanted to try fresh rhubarb. And I always see that rhubarb's best friends are the strawberries. That is a lot of gelatin! I love gelatin desserts, very enjoyable especially when chilled. Your touch of rum sounds divine! This is the perfect dessert to enjoy after a rich meal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kaye,
      That comment is from me, Joyce! :)

      Delete