Monday, February 15, 2016

This week in the kitchen

Monday/15-Feb-16: Leftover night. Made up some brown rice. Ed had the leftover smore from last week and I had some carrot soup from the freezer.

Tuesday/16-Feb-16: Used up the sack of apples I bought a couple of weeks ago to make another jar of apple butter and my aunt's Apple Cake during the day.

Another leftover night, yay! The rest of the squash tart, followed by a salad topped by the rest of the beets from last weeks beet salad. And a bit of apple cake.

Wednesday/17-Feb-16: Shopping today. A little weird since I'll be leaving for a bit. Bought several beefy things for Ed, to try and get his hemoglobin levels up. Forgot to buy fish for tonight's dinner. The counter was busy when I first went by, so I went to get veggies, then forgot to go back.

So, tonight's dinner was Greek Shrimp with White Beans, Tomato Sauce, and Feta (web), which was fast and ok, but nothing special. Accompanied by the suggested go-with Lemon-Dill Orzo Pilaf (web). This was pretty good, and quite similar to what I usually do with orzo, except that the pasta was toasted in oil first and dill was added. More apple cake for dinner.

Thursday/18-Feb-16: Off for an early haircut today. Will keep to my current appointments, so my hair will be quite long for the next one.

Recombobbled the menu plan. When I return, I just need to make the list and we can shop the next day. At least I hope it works that way.

Working on Ed's hemoglobin, tonight's dinner was Boudin Noir aux Pommes—Blood Sausage with Apples (web). The title neglects to mention the calvados and cream, so of course it was good. Served with a bit of trio rice. Followed by a made-up veg/salad sort of thing. I steamed some broccoli. Then, in the same pan, sautéed some minced garlic, added two chopped, seeded tomatoes, S&P, a pinch of piment d'Esplette, and a pinch of basil. When it looked ready, I took it off the heat and stirred in some chopped mozzarella. Turned out pretty good.

Friday/19-Feb-16: Started to go to the pharmacy today to renew a prescription, only to discover I don't have a renewal and will have to go to the open surgery tomorrow morning. Sigh.

Dinner was Squash & Red Lentil Curry (web), not bad, but a bit bland. A bit less coconut milk might be nice, much more curry. Pretty good with the Mango Chutney I made a while ago.

Saturday/20-Feb-16: Almost packed. Dinner was a half recipe of White Bolognese (Everlasting, p164; cookbooker), served over polenta. Really yummy. Ed will have another meal while I'm gone. Served with a big salad. That was all that was needed.

Sunday/21-Feb-16: Travel day. Nothing happened in the kitchen.

Progress on goals
This week: #1 BACKLOG: yes; #2 VEG/FISH: 3
This month: #3 PASTA: no; #4 BREAD: no; #5 FotW: yes for Jan/Feb; no for Feb/Mar

No comments:

Post a Comment