Monday, November 9, 2015

This week in the kitchen

Monday/9-Nov-15: Yogurt on overday.

For dinner I made a bean soup from a packet I bought in Tuscany: Minestrone all Contadina. It was a mixture of beans. The most prominent were that Italian specialty red/orange lentils, plu yellow split peas and mung beans. It also included (at least) adzuki beans, an unidentified small white/tan bean, small brown lentils, teeny black-eyed peas, and borlotti beans. All cooked in the pressure cooker with potatoes, carrots, and zucchini. Made a good soup, especially with a goodly slog of hot sauce.

Tuesday/10-Nov-15: Oops forgot to put the yogurt up last night. Time for a new starter.

Made apple butter.

Pizza out after Voce Concordiae's remembrance concert.

Wednesday/11-Nov-15: We ate today's meal at the remembrance day lunch in Montemboeuf. Absolutely no need for more food.

Thursday/12-Nov-15: Dinner was a half dose Fresh Chinese Noodles with Spicy Cabbage (Bishop, p251). No fresh Chinese noodles available, so I used linguine. Pretty good actually, although a bit dry. That's because I didn't see the instruction to add some of the pasta-cooking water to the cabbage, which was exactly what it needed.

Friday/13-Nov-15: We didn't make it shopping today, so I had to rearrange the Plan to make a meal based on what was in-house. What was that? More cabbage. So, dinner was a half version of Orecchiette alla Verza—Orecchiette with Anchovies and Savoy Cabbage (ClassPasta, p129). Pretty tasty, and easy. No dessert.

Saturday/14-Nov-15: Finally did our shopping for this week, after a stop at the optician to choose new frames for me (Ed's reusing his current ones).

Dinner was a half recipe of Zalm met Broccolipuree (web), which was easy and pretty good. (I broiled the fish, rather than sautéing it.) Served with a side of polenta, but actually it would have been better with a starter and then just the broccoli and fish on the plate. For dessert we had Egg Custard (MC). (Should be able to find this on the web, but haven't succeeded thus far.) I've made this before. It's quite easy. Strangely the recipe has not enough sugar, it needs to cook way longer than advertised, and it overfills the four six-ounce custard cups asked for. I used a yogurt jar for the last bit, making five custards in total.

Yogurt on overnight with new starter.

Sunday/15-Nov-15: We ate out for Ed's birthday today. Nothing happened in the kitchen.

Progress on goals
This week: #1 BACKLOG: no; #2 UNUSED: no; #3 GRAINS: yes; #4 VEG/FISH: 4
This month: #5 PASTA: no; #6 BREAD: no; #7 FotW: yes for September/October; no for November

No comments:

Post a Comment