Thursday, November 26, 2015

Thanksgiving 2015


Kaye's Pickled Green Beans
pistachios
potato chips

Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts 
with Rucola

Arrosto di tacchino con pancetta ed erbe aromatiche
(Shane's Roasted Rolled Turkey Breast with Pancetta and Herbs) 
with its sauce
Sweet Potato-Carrot Puff
Chef Paul Prudhomme's Cornbread Dressing
Cranberry-Port Relish
Gravy
Buttermilk Bread Cloverleaf Rolls

Juliènas
Morgon

Pumpkin Flan

A fairly light Thanksgiving  this year. For guests, we had Cath and Doug from one of Ed's choirs, and Eddy Harris and his friend Marjolaine.

I'd planned on a relish tray with my pickled green beans with carrot sticks and olives. (Note to self: small marinated mushrooms would be a good fourth for this combination.) Discovered at the last minute that there weren't any carrots. The last of them, and not quite enough, went into the Puff. Instead I put out little dishes of pistachios and potato chips, which we munched on with pineau.

For a starter there was Marinated Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Rucola. I used the marinade as the vinaigrette for the rucola. This is really two recipes smerged together. If I can ever run Mastercook again (hoping a new power supply for the Cube lets it start up), I'll enter what I do as a single recipe.

At Ed's request, we again had Shane's rolled turkey breast. I dry-brined the turkey, and this might have been fine, but I horribly overcooked it, so it was way too dry. The first time I've used my new roll of kitchen twine, after finally using up the first ball I bought so long ago. Served the "juice" from the cooking as a separate sauce.

As go-withs there were my old standards, Sweet Potato-Carrot Puff (MC) and Chef Paul Prudhomme's Cornbread Dressing (MC).

And, of course, there was Cranberry-Port Relish (MC), a recipe that came from VT originally, but I've reduced the sugar. It's a really tasty and simple-to-make cranberry sauce. So much better than the canned stuff. And some pretty good gravy made with the turkey stock I made last week.

I also made some cloverleaf rolls, because that nice soft white bread is so good for soppy. Probably the first time I've actually made this recipe with real buttermilk (lait ribot) instead of dried. Now I've got to use that up in the next week or so.

Since there were six of us, I bought two bottles of Beaujolais, one Juliénas (which we've never had before that I can remember) and the other Morgon. We neglected to notice the year. Both were good.

And, finally, there was some Pumpkin Flan (MC), which is delicious.

Just before the coffee we sampled some of the Averna Cream that we brought back from Italy. This won universal approval.

Not much picture-taking happened. Did get a picture of the camellias on the table before we sat to eat.


No comments:

Post a Comment