Monday, August 17, 2015

This week in the kitchen

Monday/17-Aug-15: Despite good intentions, nothing interesting happened in the kitchen today. We had our main meal in the afternoon, the rest of the salty beans and ham with potatoes added. Can't say the potatoes helped with the saltiness.

Ed failed Clothes Washing 101 today. I have a new dark blue denim top. I put it in a pile of jeans to be washed. Ed retrieved it from there and washed it with a bunch of ... whites! He now has a lovely blue v-necked tshirt.

Tuesday/18-Aug-15: Using up ripe bananas from the freezer and fresh. First I made a loaf of Mesquite Banana Bread (web). Then I made Banana Nut Bread 2 (MC), which is a recipe I've changed so much that I ought to retype it and call it mine.

Dinner was a halfish recipe of Shrimp and Broccoli Stir-Fry (web). The broccoli bits need to be teeninsy to work properly. Mine were what I'd call small, but I let them steam in the sauce a bit before adding the shrimp back to the wok. Tasty sauce. Over brown basmati rice.

Wednesday/19-Aug-15: Finished up cleaning house for Sam and Pat today.

Dinner was Eendenborstfilet met Hoisinsaus (Tip mag, web), sort of. I had duck aiguillettes, rather than a breast with the skin attached. No bok choy in the shop, so I used spinach. It was OK, not wonderful. We shared the last classic magnum from the freezer for dessert. Then some squares of proper chocolate to leave a better taste in the mouth.

Thursday/20-Aug-15: In the morning, mixed up the broth for Fleur de Lait (p133, Scoop). Not enough milk, so used UHT milk instead; only 1/2cup (rather than 3/4cup) sugar.

Sam and Pat were delayed leaving Houston, so arrived here later than expected, so we did our shopping before they arrived. For dinner we just had a simple bbq and off to bed fairly early. Again made the Spatchcocked Chicken Under a Brick (web; cookbooker), this time using a bit of the tandoori masala that I made up a few days ago. Served with corn on the cob and a bit salad. Ended with the Fleur de Lait ice cream, which was quite passable.

Friday/21-Aug-15: We toured Villebois-Lavallette, town and chateau, with Sam and Pat, then lunched at one of our favorite restaurants. Cheese and munchies for the evening.

Saturday/22-Aug-15: Reviewing this book, I discovered this is where I found the yassa recipe I made a while ago. I've been wanting to have that again, so I made Yassa au Poulet—Marinated Chicken Braised in Lemon-and-Onion Sauce (p68, TLAfrica; cookbooker).


I served with plain rice, as suggested, and Green Beans with Sour Sauce (p84, TLAfrica). An interesting sauce here that went well with the chicken. The recipe wants a "small double boiler" for the sauce. Who has a small double-boiler? I used the smallest pyrex bowl set onto a pan of simmering water.


Lots of sauce from the chicken for serving on the rice.


Sunday/23-Aug-15: Indian night tonight. We started with Spicy Cucumber Wedges (p172, MJ1), an old favorite. Then Scallops in Spinach-Tomato Curry Sauce (p72, Q&E), which we've had before. Really yummy. And plain rice. For dessert, there was Nectarine Sorbet (p125, Scoop; cookbooker), which was really nice.

Progress on goals
This week: #1 BACKLOG: no; #2 UNUSED: no; #3 GRAINS: no; #4 VEG/FISH: 2
This month: #5 PASTA: no; #6 BREAD: no; #7 FotW: yes for July; holiday for August

No comments:

Post a Comment