Monday, April 27, 2015

This week in the kitchen

Monday/27-Apr-15: Made some Croutons (Art, p172) with bread left from Saturday's apèro.

For dinner, there was pasta with a red pepper sauce from the freezer. Then a big salad. Then more of the cheese from the cheese box. That was all.

Tuesday/28-Apr-15: Yogurt on overday.

Cleaned the shelf with baking supplies today and found one unopened package of chocolate chips and three open ones! Time for some baking. With almonds, of which I also have a surplus.

Dinner was Hoisin Chicken with Walnuts and Mushrooms (30MinCook, p147), which was okay but nothing special. As sides there were basmati rice and Hot and Spicy Wrinkled Beans (Chinatown, p106), which I've made a couple of times now.

Wednesday/29-Apr-15: Shopping today.

Dinner was Chipotle Lime Salmon (web). Can hardly beat this, fast, easy, good. Served with brown rice and a made up avocado salad/salsa. For dessert some little crème caramels courtesy of Bonne Maman.

Thursday/30-Apr-15: Dinner was Mafalda Corta with Sausage in Saffron Cream Sauce (web), really good stuff, fast and easy. I recently learned that mafalda is the name for one of my favorite pasta shapes, the one I call mini-lasagnas. Then a smallish salad, topped with some of Monday's croutons from the freezer. Then the last two little crème caramels.

Friday/1-May-15: Holiday today and the weather has turned rainy. For a week or more. Sigh.

Dinner started with (sort of) Globe Artichoke Salad with Preserved Lemon Mayonnaise (web). Not globe artichokes, but the little violet ones. Didn't make my mayo from scratch, but added the minced preserved lemons to the end of a jar. No peas shoots (ha), but part of a sack of mixed lettuces. Wasn't bad though. For the main, there was a half recipe of Baked Orzo, Broccoli, and Cheese (VegClass; cookbooker). It was pretty good, a one-dish dinner kind of thing. For dessert, there were some apples baked in the Romertopf. I looked at several recipes, and then did my own thing. Good they were.

Yogurt on overnight.

Saturday/2-May-15: Hmm...the yogurt had separated, first time that's happened. Seems to be caused by "cooking" it too hot (in the machine?) or too long (the same time as I've been using). A puzzle. Supposedly it's edible, by draining or stirring, but I still saved enough of what I had left to make a new batch.

Had our main meal at midday today, a half recipe of Baked Chicken Scampi with Potatoes and Zucchini (web). Not sure what was "scampi" about it, but it was good. The instructions aren't very good, at least the version I got via email, but it's worth doing. As a go-with, there was Belarussian Carrot Salad (web), which was a nice carrot salad, although it didn't go all that well with the casserole. The carrots marinated for only about 30 minutes, not 3 hours or more. Oh well. It was still good.

I haven't spent lots of time working on my recipe backlog, but I have been pretty vicious clearing out various stacks around the house. One folder, I ended up tossing all that I'd collected. I'm working on my bedside stack, six years' accumulation, picking up random handful every few days and saving or tossing. Tiny progress.

Sunday/3-May-15: Yogurt on overday, using the bit I saved from the previous batch. The separated batch is pretty sour.

Dinner was a half recipe of Cajun Shrimp Fettuccine Alfredo (web; cookbooker). Really yummy this. And a salad. Then we split a magnum classic. We'll probably stop getting these; the chocolate is not very good and the ice cream just so-so. A shame since they used to be worth a walk across Amstelveen to get some of an evening.

Progress on goals
This week: #1 BACKLOG: no; #2 UNUSED: yes; #3 GRAINS: yes; #4 VEG/FISH: 4
This month: #5 PASTA: no for April; no for May; #6 BREAD: no for April; no for May  #7 FotW: no for March/April; no for May

No comments:

Post a Comment