Monday, March 16, 2015

This week in the kitchen

Monday/16-Mar-15: Dinner was a halfish recipe of Angel Hair with Shrimp Sesame Sauce (web) that I got from EAT-L. Supposedly the recipe is from the National Pasta Association, but I can't find it there. Nevermind, it's good. And easy. And quick. I used spaghettini because I didn't have enough angel hair; used Major Grey chutney; used less sugar than asked; used shallots instead of scallion/green onions. Broccoli might be good instead of asparagus. More shrooms would be good. We both added a big squirt of sriracha at the table, which was nice. Some red pepper flakes at the beginning might be good. For after, we split a magnum classic 1/3 and 2/3.

Tuesday/17-Mar-15: Dinner was a half recipe of Spiced Lentils with Egg (web), which was pretty good. The lentil mixture could be made ahead, and this would make it quite fast to have on the table. I finished off my jar of toor dal instead of using yellow split peas, of which there are none in the house. I checked the eggs after 20 minutes and they looked pretty wobbly still, so I put them in for 2 more minutes, which was a mistake, since they were pretty solid. Probably the 18 minutes timing would be fine. Served with a big salad as suggested. Two squares of dark chocolate with nuts for dessert.

Wednesday/18-Mar-15: Shopping today. First our regular stuff at Leclerc, then a trip to Intermarché to partake of the foire de chevreaux. I got both a front quarter and a back quarter. Also got some lamb merguez made at the shop. The freezer is super full right now.

Dinner was Farfalle with Salmon, Lemon, and Peas (web), definitely a keeper. Easy and tasty. I think the recipe must be intended for two, although it says it serves four. I used mini-lasagnes rather than farfalle, which I don't like very much. The mini-lasagnes are properly called mafalda corta, and are a shape I like a lot. Served with a simple salad. No dessert, since we had some cornuelles with our afternoon tea.

Thursday/19-Mar-15: Yogurt on overday. Worked on sorting/thinning dessert recipes this afternoon. We were supposed to go to a quiz/dinner this evening but one of our partners was ill, so we didn't go. Shifted tomorrow's dinner to tonight and will have to figure out the rest of the week.

Dinner was Squid Fried with Chillies (Solomon1, p181) and Quick-Fried Long Beans (Solomon1, p413) served with rice. The squid is an Indonesian dish. The beans (I used haricots verts instead of kousebanden) is Chinese. (Shh, don't tell.) The squid was pretty good, but not very hot. I took the seeds out of the chilies I used, maybe didn't need to. Followed by some ice cream with some almost defrosted raspberries.

(Solomon1 will count as a seldom-used book. Just realized I've made the beans before, but didn't leave a note in the book. Silly me.)

Friday/20-Mar-15: Went to the freezer for a make-up dinner tonight. Sicilian Lentil, Vegetable, and Pasta Soup. Plenty for dinner and for a lunch in the next days. Cookies for dessert, then off for a concert in nearby Montemboeuf.

Saturday/21-Mar-15: A days or so ago I defrost a package of pâte feuillitée (puff pastry). For breakfast this morning it used this to make Sinfully Easy Mini Croissants with Chocolate (web). Yum! Really simple to make and really tasty. Left one for la facteuse (the mail lady), but I didn't leave a note, so she didn't take it and I had to eat it later.

Dinner was Baked Zucchini with Pepper Sauce (FF&S, p222). I made about a three-quarters recipe for two. Hard to tell exactly, because the amount of zucchini is not given by weight and zucchinis differ greatly in size. Thought I'd be using up a jar of roasted red bell peppers, but it was already moldy so I had to open a new jar. Served with brown rice. Quite a nice dinner. We had some morbier cheese for afters.

Sunday/22-Mar-15: Got up late and have a lazy morning. Didn't feel like cooking what I'd planned, so made tomorrow's planned meal instead, a half recipe of Thai Chicken Curry Noodles (web). Pretty good and fast. Split a magnum classic 1/3 and 2/3 for dessert.

Progress on goals
This week: #1 BACKLOG: yes; #2 UNUSED: yes; #3 GRAINS: yes; #4 VEG/FISH: 6
This month: #5 PASTA: no; #6 BREAD: no; #7 FotW: no for March

No comments:

Post a Comment