Monday, January 12, 2015

This week in the kitchen

Monday/12-Jan-15: Today's excitement ... My first voice lesson. We'll see how that goes.

Meant to roast a chicken this evening, but didn't feel like it. Quick change to Curried Penne with Shrimp (MC; p49, 365OneDish), an old favorite. Added peas for some veggie matter. Then a salad. Think a bit of chocolate for a bite of sweet.

Tuesday/13-Jan-15: I made myself some cornmeal cereal (Savory, p292) for breakfast, using the fine cornmeal I bought when we were in NL, rather than the polenta-sort. Prefer the coarser one, I must say. The fine grind tastes OK, but no feel in the mouth.

Made apple butter on and off this afternoon, using part of a sack of Canada Grise I got last week.

Dinner was Moroccan-Spiced Roast Chicken with Cream Cilantro Sauce (web; cookbooker). I spatchcocked the chicken to speed up the cooking, and rubbed most of the spiced butter mixture under the skin (of breast and leg) rather than on top. Very good. Tasty sauce too. I've tossed the leftover sauce and potatoes together to make a little salad for the next days. Served with a halfish dose of Crushed Spiced Carrot Salad (Morocco, p78; cookbooker), which is definitely a keeper. No dessert needed. (Morocco seems to qualify as a seldom used cookbook, as this is only the second dish I've recorded here. Definitely needs to be used more.)

Before bed, I started up an ABM loaf of White Egg Bread collected from EAT-L. The interesting thing is that it's a tare-weighed bread. You just put the pan on the scale and start weighing things in. In theory you should check the dough about 5 minutes into kneading, but I wasn't getting up that early, so we had it as I did it. And pretty good it was. Now I need to find a simple water/flour/salt/yeast one, or modify my moldy-oldy recipe to fit.

Wednesday/14-Jan-15: Shopping today.

Dinner was Vegetable Quinoa Soup from the freezer (grain!), following by some little red-fruit charlottes. There was a small cup of soup left. I froze it, and have the idea to buzz it up to add the next time I make stock.

Thursday/15-Jan-15: Dinner was Fish Cakes with Herbs and Chiles (web; cookbooker), oh so good. Served with a small bit of Mama's Garlic Coleslaw (MC; HandyBook), which I didn't make quite enough dressing for; and some garlic-ginger basmati rice, sort of made-up recipe after a bit of wander on the web. For dessert a dab of ice cream with some mango chunks.

Yogurt on overnight.

Friday/16-Jan-15: Oatmeal for breakfast.

Last week my order for the paperback version of Diaries2 was cancelled, and I impulsively ordered the hardback. Which arrived today. Guess I'll play catch-up for January and read it through the year as I did with the first one.

Forgot to defrost for tonight's dinner, so changed tonight's plan. Dinner turned out to be a half recipe of Hoisin-Glazed Chicken with Cabbage Slaw (web; cookbooker). Served with rice. Fast and tasty. The cabbage slaw is worth keeping for itself. The same sauce tasted a bit strong on the chickie, but great (with a dab of extra rice vinegar) on the salad. Some defrosted mixed berries over ice cream for dessert.

Saturday/16-Jan-15: A couple of outings today, so made Lazy Day Slow Cooker Mushroom Soup (web; cookbooker). We liked it. In the end, I didn't have time to mess with the crock pot, so just simmered in a cast iron dutch oven. I see the recipe has been corrected since I printed it and now includes both cream and half-and-half, which seems like overkill to me. I ran out of sherry, so part of that was dry white. For dessert, we had half of another three kings' cake, but didn't find the fêve.

Sunday/18-Jan-15: Went to a concert in Limoges this afternoon. With our post-concert coffee&tea, we finished off the three kings' cake. Ed got the fêve, which turned out to be a dog (pointer). Hmm...

For dinner, Ed wanted some chew in the soup, so I added some cêpe-flavored noodles. Good enough, and easy.

Just thinking that our week has suddenly filled up with busy-nesses. Mondays I have voice lessons. Tuesday afternoons I'm going to a quilting working (take your own project). Wednesday Ed and I are doing a little local exercise group (one of Ed's choir friends has converted a barn to an exercise space); that afternoon is our traditional shopping day. Ed has choir practice on Thursdays. Nothing regular/weekly on the other three days (so far). We've suddenly got a busy schedule.

Progress on goals
This week: #1 BACKLOG: yes; #2 UNUSED: yes; #3 GRAINS: yes; #4 VEG/FISH: 5
This month: #5 PASTA: no; #6 BREAD: no; #7 FotW: yes for Dec; no for Jan

No comments:

Post a Comment