Monday, January 5, 2015

This week in the kitchen

Monday/5-Jan-15: Dinner was a half recipe of Linguine with Spicy Shrimp (web), using rucola instead of watercress. (I think of watercress as a very French thing, yet I rarely see in the stores. It was seasonably available in NL, and much more often than here.) For dessert a scoop of vanilla ice cream with some defrosted mango chunks.

Tuesday/6-Jan-15: Went to my ENT today and came home with a pile of meds from my ongoing sinus problem. Went to Grand Frais after and didn't really buy anything. Then went to health food store and bought some stuff on list.

Dinner was Fusilli alla Siciliana (Lorenza, p99; MC; cookbooker). Then some of the little hazelnut-chocolate things I got at Grand Frais for a treat.

Problem to solve: I cook 7 meals a week at most. I collect from the web and magazines well over 10 main dishes a week. This has been going on for twenty years or more. I've got a huge backlog. How can I clear this out?

Wednesday/7-Jan-15: Shopping early today then hurry back to take delivery of a lot of bales of hay for the potager.

Dinner was Little Shrimp Casserole (web), using cod instead of shrimp (at the suggestion of the person from whom I got the recipe. We thought it was OK, but a bit bland, although I just now see that I missed adding the wine at the end. Might try again with shrimp, or with a mix of shrimp and scallops when I've got two almost empty packages. Served with some trio rice and some green beans.

For dessert I used the pineapple that I never used at xmas, some macadamias, and some pâte feuillieutée from the freezer needing to be used and made a dessert by smerging several recipes. The filling (grilled pineapple slices with whole macadamias laid on a mixture of marscapone, chopped mint, lemon peel, and finely chopped macadamias) was pretty tasty, but might have been better in another setting.

Thursday/8-Jan-15: Yesterday I bought cod and salmon for the little casseroles, thinking the color of the salmon would be a nice addition. But there was more than enough cod for two. So tonight I made a half dose of Risotto de Quinoa Gourmand Courgette et Salmon (VPG; web). It was pretty good, if not really a risotto. We had two more slices of the pineapple tart for dessert.

Friday/9-Jan-15: Had a delivery from Toupargel today, more than half paid for with a Groupon coupon. Lots of frozen fruit. Lots of desserts for two. A package of bavettes. A package of smoked salmon. What kind of people live here?

For new year's dinner, I bought some red caviar for something that didn't get made. So tonight we had a half dose of Pasta with Salmon Caviar (web; cookbooker). Not salmon caviar but lumpfish caviar (dyed red apparently), which is more in our budget. Nevertheless it was pretty good. Then a salad. Then the rest of the pineapple tart.

Saturday/10-Jan-15: Dinner was a half recipe of Orecchiette with Cabbage and Sausage (web). Good it was. I actually had a bit too much sausage, since I package it up in 8oz bits, but it didn't seem too much. Some frozen nougat ice cream with chopped nuts for dessert.

Four nights of pasta dinner this week. Maybe not too balanced here.

Given that Ed seems to have no problems with tomatoes and tomato sauce that I've carefully deseeded, tonight I put all my old tomato-containing recipes back in my green binder. This was instigated because I had an urge for a pork chop recipe that my mother used to make; chops and tomato sauce for tomorrow's dinner are thawing in the freezer now. I was surprised how many of these recipes included eggplant. I don't remember cooking with it that much.

Sunday/11-Jan-15: Just did a quick pass through the print-outs of this year's posts, to start thinking about the cover photos when I print the 2014 posts. So many typos spotted just turning pages. How many are lurking unseen? Oh well.

Dragging out a really moldy-oldy, tonight's dinner was Dinner in a Skillet (greenbook), pork chops cooked with onions, bell pepper, and rice in tomato sauce. Simple, good. Crèmes Brulées for dessert.

Progress on goals
This week: #1 BACKLOG: yes; #2 UNUSED: no; #3 GRAINS: yes; #4 VEG/FISH: 5
This month: #5 PASTA: no; #6 BREAD: no; #7 FotW: yes for Dec/WS; no for Jan/RUS

No comments:

Post a Comment