Monday, December 8, 2014

This week in the kitchen

Monday/8-Dec-14: Dinner was a halfish recipe of A Night in Tunisia Pasta (with Harissa, Broccoli, Cauliflower) (web). Ed thought it was really hot, while I thought it was pleasantly hot. Nothing special, but nice enough. Roasted brassicas are always nice. Then a big salad. That was all.

Yogurt on overnight.

Tuesday/9-Dec-14: For lunch we finished off two single serving things from the freezer, so we weren't all that hungry at dinnertime.

It was supposed to be a whole meal, well, soup and dessert, from TLEastern today, but I didn't get myself organized to make the dessert. Dinner was Shaker Potato-Leek Soup (TLEastern, p9; cookbooker), which was pretty good and easy to make. Would also be vegetarian if you didn't add the crumbled bacon or used bacos (whatever those things may be called these days).


Wednesday/10-Dec-14: Shopping today. Having no idea what I'll do for the holidays, I bought a pintade (guinea hen) and two duck breasts (with the idea of making something similar to Shane's turkey roll, but with duck instead). All in the freezer now.

Dinner was Gebakken Pangasius met Mosterdsaus—Fried Panga with Mustard Sauce (web). I used cod (on sale today) and broiled the fish, rather than dredging it in flour and sautéing. For the sauce, I sautéed the onions, then added a bit of flour, then topped up with orange juice, coarse mustard, fresh dill, and a pinch of sugar as directed. The sauce was pretty good but would maybe be better with a stronger tasting fish like salmon. Served with some smashed potatoes  (pushed through a sieve) and steamed broccoli. For dessert, I buzzed up a bit of Coffee Ricotta Mousse (MW@Home, p307), using a dab of leftover ricotta, plus a bit that was frozen until the bakje jumped on the floor and broke. I don't really follow this recipe, but use it for the proportions, using Kahlua instead of instant coffee and brandy.

Thursday/11-Dec-14: Busy day today. It was the first meeting of my BookChatters group, where we sat around and talked books for an hour and a half. In the afternoon, I joined a scrabble group for a couple hours of play and chat. Fun.

For dinner there was leftover enchilada casserole with some rice&peas and guacamole. Then some little chocolate pudding cake sort of things I got from the café where we played scrabble. Lekker!

Friday/12-Dec-14: Dinner was a halfish version of  Penne al Cavolfiore e Panna (ClassPasta, p108; cookbooker), which was very good. Might be good with roasted cauliflower too. Then a big salad. Then we split a chocolate and nut "lollipop" that was part of a charity hamper than I won.

Saturday/13-Dec-14: Hadn't noticed that my planned meal needed quite a bit of wall clock time and I didn't feel like waiting, so scrambled to find a quick dish to use the defrost kip filets. We ended up with Chicken with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce (MC), with trio rice and some peas and little onions. Mini magnums for dessert.

I'm puzzling about what we're going to have for our xmas meals. Could be guinea hen, could be duck breasts. But I have a bit of an itch for lamb. Or fish. Or ... ???

Sunday/14-Dec-14: The last carol concert this evening was followed by ... a dinner. Ed wasn't paying attention. I thought it was just drinks and nibbles, but it was drinks and food. Luckily I planned only a quick simple dinner, so nothing was wasted.

Progress on goals
This week: #1 COOKBOOKS: yes; #2 VEG/FISH: 3
This month: #3 PASTA: no; #4 FotW: yes for last month/no for this month; #5 BREAD: none

No comments:

Post a Comment