Monday, December 29, 2014

This week in the kitchen

Monday/29-Dec-14: The beans I put on after lunch for tonight's dinner didn't want to get cooked in time, so they're sitting outside freezing their booties off until tomorrow. Instead I defrosted some chipolatas (sausages); need to note the brand because they were a bit on the salty side. Roasted some broccoli and cauliflower, along with one sweet potato for Hasselback Sweet Potatoes with Chipotle Cream (web), which I saw in the CL I read through this morning. (One sweet potato was plenty for two.) For dessert, we split the last mango ice cream sandwich, which was a reasonable amount (as opposed to the whole one per person recommended in the menu).

Tuesday/30-Dec-14: Late start, then shopping today. Very crowded again, and all the checkout lines weren't open, so there was a bit of a wait.

Cooked yesterday's beans some more, then finished off Pork Stew with Red Chiles and Black Beans (web), about a 2/3 recipe. Red beans, since I discovered I was out of black beans; the red beans seem to be Dutch, so they could be quite old and that could be why they took so long to cook. It was good, but nothing special. Didn't much care for the added honey. Chocolate mini magnums for dessert. Ed was still wanting some chocolate, so I made some Angel's Dreams (TLWine, p33), which were quite good, even though we don't have proper glasses for such things.


Wednesday/31-Dec-14: Ed's been busy hanging new lighting over the kitchen sink. He spent the morning and afternoon occupying the sink area, meaning I couldn't start cooking till much later than intended.

Knowing we're eating out tomorrow, I planned a lightish food for tonight.  For the meal, there was Gingery Cauliflower Soup (Q&E, p13) and (more or less) Easy Potato and Pea Samosas ( web) with Fresh Green Chutney (Q&E, p113). The soup is an old favorite; usually we eat most of it, tonight only about half. This is not the same baked samosa recipe I've made before; couldn't find that one. I made six samosas (I ate one, Ed ate three) to use up the packet of filo that I started with strudel; now I've got some filling leftover for something else. The chutney used mint from the garden. Very unusual for there still to be mint in the garden at the end of December.

Ed thought we needed a picture of me making the samosas.


And I thought we needed a picture of him eating one.


For our late evening munchies, I made a half recipe of Baba Ghanoush (WofE, p334) using some roasted eggplant from the freezer. This turned out especially good. As go-withs there was a plate of carrots, cukes, red and green bell peppers, radishes, cherry tomatoes (for me). I defrosted a second batch of roasted eggplant to make a recipe from WS, but didn't have the oomph. Twas OK in the end because we didn't quite finish the first batch, but will have to do something with it in the next days. For some reason I was exhausted after dinner and Oscar and I took a nap in the rocker. Polished off a bottle of Bailey's Irish Cream in the course of the evening; Ed and I were both a little loopy.

Thursday/1-Jan-15: Splendid lunch out today at one of our favorite restaurants. No further food needed.



Friday/2-Jan-15: Tonight was Carrot Ginger Soup (web; cookbooker) with the two extra samosas. For dessert we finished off the last bit of pudding with slogs of crème de cacao and cream.

Saturday/3-Jan-15: Went to mail a package this morning, only to discover that the post office closes at noon, not at noon:30. Stopped at boulangerie for bread and a three king's cake.

Oops, forgot to notice that the chicken for tonight's planned dinner wanted to marinate for four hours. Instead we had Chile-Lime Veggie Noodles (web; cookbooker). Three king's cake for dessert.

Sunday/4-Jan-15: I actually got the chicken on to marinate this morning so dinner was a half-recipe of Grilled Chicken Piquant (CL92, p166). Easy and really good. You're supposed to boil the marinade at the end to use as a salad dressing, but since I made a half dose, there really wasn't enough to boil for five minutes. I just made up another small batch to drizzle my store-bought greens (frisée, carrots, beets, cabbage, and whatever else). A nice plate. We finished the three king's cake and may try to get another before they're gone.

Progress on goals
This week: #1 COOKBOOKS: no; #2 VEG/FISH: 3
This month: #3 PASTA: yes for Dec/no for Jan; #4 FotW: yes for Dec/no for Jan; #5 BREAD: no

No comments:

Post a Comment