Monday, September 22, 2014

This week in the kitchen

Monday/22-Sep-14: Yogurt on overday.

Dinner was Pasta with Tuna and Olives (VeryBest, p210; cookbooker). My can of tuna was the same size required in the recipe for four, so I make all the sauce but only half the pasta. The olives should have been coarsely chopped rather than halved, but otherwise it was quite good. Easy and fast. Then a big salad.

Tuesday/23-Sep-14: It was supposed to be an IHCC dinner, for which I cooked a batch of chickpeas this morning, but I turned out to have missed a somewhat important ingredient, so made a quick change to Chickpea and Sweet Potato Curry (web), which was OK, but nothing particularly special. Lots of veg, chickpeas, sweet potato, peas, and tomatoes, which was nice. A big dose of lime pickle helped the flavor. Served over rice.

Wednesday/24-Sep-14: Shopping today. Then a dinner buffet at an acoustic open mike event at a nearby restaurant.

Thursday/25-Sep-14: I was up early and off to an all-day mosaic "taste" class that included lunch. Good fun but tiring. Got home quite late. Had a small sandwich and fruit and off to bed.

Friday/26-Sep-14: Yogurt on overday.

In the afternoon I made some Homemade Sausage (30MinPasta, p161; Handybook). Lots for the freezer and a small amount for a coming dinner.

After that, I made myself at Pineaujito (web). I was a bit dubious about this idea, but it worked pretty well.

For dinner there was Sriracha Garlic Tofu with Mint (web), along with rice and Thai Carrot and Radish Salad (web). The main was quite good, but emphasized the crummy tofu we get here. Also, it should be cut slightly smaller, maybe in spears or somthing more interesting than cubes. Good flavor, though.  The salad was also good and went with the tofu very well. I haven't found any "sweet chilli dipping sauce," so used slightly less sriracha and added a dollop of plum jam. No lettuce, just served it plain. All good stuff. We split a magnum classic after. (I'd have really liked just a spoonful of pineapple sherbet, but there was none available.

Saturday/27-Sep-14: Before dinner, I made some Chipotle Brownies (web). (This is a recipe from Family Circle. I eventually managed to find the recipe there, but it was such a miserable experience that I wouldn't recommend their site to anyone.) I had only 1/2oz of semisweet chocolate (instead of 3), so I used a total on 4-1/2 oz of unsweetened chocolate. To compensate I didn't seriously reduce the sugar measure as I usually do. Instead of chocolate chunks added at the end, I had the tiny French chocolate chips, which are really quite good. We had these for dessert and good they were.

The main was Salmon with Curried Cabbage (web). (You'll find this recipe lots of places. Some of them will say it serves four, which is not possible. It's meant to serve one, and that makes sense. I doubled it.) I got this recipe from EAT-L, and didn't realizethat it was meant to be cooked in the microwave (duh) . So I sautéed the cabbage bit in butter and oil, then did the salmon under the broiler. Served with trio rice. Pretty good.

Set a pair of kip filets to marinate for tomorrow's dinner.

Sunday/28-Sep-14: Dinner was Grilled Tandoori Chicken (web), which was very easy to assemble and surprisingly good. I used kip filets, but I expect any bits of chick would work fine as long as they have a good long marinade. Cooked on the grill outside, thank you Ed. Served with Karhai Broccoli (MJ@Home, p148) and Turmeric Rice (Q&E, p100). Both of these are tried&true recipes.

Progress on goals
This week: #1 COOKBOOKS: yes; #2 VEG/FISH: 4
This month: #3 PASTA: no; #4 FotW: yes; #5 BREAD: no

No comments:

Post a Comment