Monday, September 8, 2014

This week in the kitchen

Monday/8-Sep-14: Dinner was a halfish recipe of Curried Quinoa Salad with Lentils and Sun-Dried Tomatoes (web). It was pretty good. I only partly followed the recipes. Soaking quinoa? Nah. Soaking my oven-dried tomatoes? Ditto. Otherwise it was quite good.

Yogurt on overnight, as I remember. There were thunderstorms and all computing was shut off.

Tuesday/9-Sep-14: Lunch out today with friends. No interest in food in the evening.

Wednesday/10-Sep-14: Shopping today.

Dinner was a half recipe of Filets de Sole Bonne Femme (TLProvFr, p38), which was not as good as it should have been. The sauce was too heavy. I looked in my Larousse Gastronomique and it seems the sauce shouldn't have had cream, which makes sense to me. Just the thickened fish cooking juices (wine and water). Served with some boiled, parley potatoes and broccoli.


Two squares of hazelnut-chocolate each after.

Thursday/11-Sep-14: Yogurt on overday.

Shopping yesterday, I bought a 5kg box of plum tomatoes for €5. They're meant for preserving, but many of them are just as good as what you buy to eat. Have been busy seeding and cooking those down. Eight little ziplocs with 1 cup each. We're pretty well set for tomato sauce/purée now.

Dinner was Californian Chicken Salad (MC; web). I've had this recipe for ages; collected it before I started recording when and where I got it. (The web link is a copy of what I have.)

Sophie's got something wrong in her left hindquarter. Off to the vet tomorrow.

Friday/12-Sep-14: Started chicken stock rather late today since we went to the vet with Sophie in the morning. Will boil it up again tomorrow and maybe again on Saturday before freezing it.

Dinner was planned for IHCC, but I forgot to bring my camera down. Think my commitment to this is getting low. The next chef is someone I've never heard of, Diana Henry. Definitely a miss. Time to get back to seldom used books.

The unphotographed dinner was Red Lentils with Turmeric and Mustard Seeds (30MinCook, p232; cookbooker). We shared a classic magnum for dessert. Then walked Pogo. Then fed Harriet.

Saturday/13-Sep-14: Dinner was Hot Aubergine and Cheese Sandwiches (30MinCook, p35; cookbooker). Then a salad. No dessert needed.

Sunday/14-Sep-14: Yogurt on overday.

Finished off the chicken stock today. Froze up 12 cups altogether. Didn't have enough lids for my freezer tupperwares, so had to do some 3-cups and some 2-cups.

Dinner was Chicken Kebabs with Thai Chile-Plum Glaze (web). Easy and good. Served with brown basmati rice and Broccoli in Oyster Sauce (Delightful, p58). A tasty dinner. No dessert.

Progress on goals
This week: #1 COOKBOOKS: yes; #2 VEG/FISH: 4
This month: #3 PASTA: no; #4 FotW: yes; #5 BREAD: no

No comments:

Post a Comment