Thursday, August 14, 2014

IHCC: Zest It up!

This week it's zingy citrus week at I Heart Cooking Clubs. And was also pasta time at home. Result: Lemon and Basil Linguine from The Kitchen Diaries (p130), another Slater recipe that's quick and about as simple as it can be.

For two, simply whisk together the juice of a big lemon, 75ml of olive oil, and 75g of grated Parmesan. When that's well-combined, thick and grainy looking, stir in some torn up basil leaves and lots of freshly ground black pepper. This is really quick to put together, but grating that much Parmesan does take a bit of time—even with my wonderful microplane. (And I used only about 50-60ml of olive oil, since that seemed like entirely too much.) When the pasta is done, drain it, toss with the sauce, and serve. That's all there is to it.

OK, it took a bit longer for me because I made some lemon fettuccine from scratch rather use using store-bought.

The first taste (or smell) is heavy on the citrus, but the lemon, cheese, and basil complement each other so well, making a really creamy sauce without any cream.


Check this week's post at I Heart Cooking Clubs to see what zesty treats others have cooked up.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Kaye,
    Your pasta dish looks delicious! It sounds extra special that you've made your own lemon fettuccine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at you making your own homemade lemon fettuccine! So impressive! I love a good lemony pasta with lots and lots of parmesan. Comforting and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always in awe of homemade pasta and I love lemon and basil--such a great summer pairing. Yum! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lemon fettuccine with that sauce sounds like a fantastic meal. I don't know how I missed that recipe in the book, especially since it's on the same page as one I made a few weeks ago! Now tagged to make in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pasta always works ;-) I love the combination!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the kind of pasta dish I absolutely adore, and I love that you amplified the lemoniness by making your own lemon linguine.

    ReplyDelete