Friday, August 1, 2014

IHCC: Serving Up Salads!

This week it's salad time with Nigel Slater and it's definitely salad weather outside. Being a bundle of indecision, I ended up making two Slater salads this week.

The first one was Goat's Cheese and Fruit from The 30-Minute Cook (p92). This is a salad of fresh fruits, with a dressing of balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil, and walnut oil, topped by a crottin melted on a toasted baguette slice. Red currants and raspberries were the best looking fresh fruit at the shop this week, so I used that combination. This was good, but a bit odd. Should it be a salad starter or a combined cheese-dessert course? We both liked the bits individually, but thought the combination was odd. Maybe it would work better with autumny fruits like pears and figs, but there's still the question of what course it should be. Odd or not, we enjoyed it.


This evening we had A Refreshing Salad for a Hot Day, the July 19 entry from The Kitchen Diaries (p231). Well, sort of. Slater asks for a cantaloupe; I got a charentaise melon. (I live in the Charente, so this is local food here. Cantaloupes are rare.) Instead of Parma ham, I used slices from a dried French ham that a neighbor won in a lottery, but didn't want. There was no arugula/rocket in the shop so I used some leaves from a garden lettuce that is bolting. All served with a simple dressing of lemon juice and olive oil with salt and pepper. Only when I went back to the kitchen to see if the main course was ready to come out of the oven did I realize that I'd neglected to add the mozzarella slices to the salad. So we used those to wipe up the bit of dressing left on our plates. The mozzarella was good by itself, and probably better if I'd managed to actually include it in the salad.


Last week I didn't post my dish, but you can see what other folks made Off the Spice Rack at I Heart Cooking Clubs. And be sure to check out what folks are doing for Serving Up Salads this week. 

6 comments:

  1. I love the creativity of both of these salads and they both look so pretty on the plate. The oozy, melty crottin looks especially delectable to me. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both salads looks lovely. I would most certainly enjoy both, I love fruit salads!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I giggled when I read "bundle of indecision". That pretty much describes me to a T.

    I love the looks of the fruit salad and I'm so jealous of your red currants. I've never had one and would love to try them!

    And the melon and ham salad is the perfect combination of sweet and salty, with or without the cheese:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two gorgeous salads. The melon and ham one would certainly be right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nigel does have a lot of great salad recipes to choose from. The ones you made look wonderful, especially the melon-ham.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Red currants are so delicious and melon and ham is a classic combination, looks like real local salads ;-)

    ReplyDelete