Monday, June 23, 2014

IHCC: Mediterranean Magic!

Ah, a Mediterranean dinner. For a long time, our favorite restaurant in Amsterdam for pre-concert dining was Mediterranean. One day I called to reserve only to find that they'd transformed into a French-ish steak-frites place. Mediterranean was passé, they said. Trendy or passé, foods from this area still provide some of our favorite flavors. And Nigel Slater frequently seems to agree.

Tonight's dinner was was a really simple one and one I'll do again, no doubt, since all the ingredients are usually on-hand from the pantry, the fridge, or the freezer. I made Fusilli with Olives, Anchovies, and Capers from Real Fast Food (p119). The sauce could hardly be easier. You chop up some black olive and anchovy fillets, slice some sun-dried tomatoes (I used oven-dried ones from the freezer), stir in some capers and warm it all in some olive oil. You can get the sauce and a salad ready ready while the pasta water is coming to a boil, then finish off the sauce while it cooks.

There is a small problem (I think) in the recipe as printed. It calls for "1 pound fresh or 4 ounces dried pasta" for two servings. I think most recipes call for four ounces of pasta per person. I usually make six to seven ounces for two. For this sauce, though, I think the full eight ounces for two would have been better. One, there would have been more for each of us (we liked it!) and, two, the sauce has strong flavors, so more pasta would balance it off better.

I used cascareccia instead of fusilli. Slater also suggests penne as an alternative. I'm thinking that some nice homemade fettuccine might work also.


Stop by I Heart Cooking Clubs to see what Mediterranean treats other folks are making this week.

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great pasta dish - I love all of the Mediterranean ingredients in it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pasta is Mediterranean for sure, even more with all these Mediterranean ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks pretty and delicious, Kaye. Pinning it so I can try it--we love pasta around here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in agreement with you. You need at least 6-7 ounces of pasta for two people. Looks like you got the perfect balance of pasta and sauce. I love the salty briney flavors in this dish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delicious, Kaye. This is exactly the kind of pasta dish I love. I love all those robust flavours and casareccia is one of my favourite pasta shapes. I'm inclined to agree - I usually allow a generous 4 oz of pasta per person, not that I ever weigh it - I just eyeball half a bag :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, this looks yummy!! All the ingredients I love!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have had this one tagged to make--I love the combination of flavors and ingredients in it. Such a great pantry meal. ;-)

    ReplyDelete