Thursday, June 5, 2014

IHCC: Let's do Brunch!

Thumbing through my Nigel Slater books and wondering what I could find that would be considered a dish for brunch, I came upon the June 15th entry in The Kitchen Diaries (p195) titled "A shrimp omelette." The whole entry for the date reads:
You can make a very nice little omelette by folding in a carton of potted shrimps, minus the butter topping, as it cooks. It is surprisingly filling and somehow, with a glass of white wine, rather decadent.
Ah-ha, I thought, an omelet sounds brunchlike and I need a light and quick dinner one evening. Potted shrimp, however, are not something I can get at my local grocery. A little searching around turned up a recipe at the River Cottage site, also from their Edible Seashore handbook (which I don't have). Potted shrimp are tiny shrimp that have been cooked in lots of clarified butter (I used ghee) and some herbs (mace, cayenne, and bay leaf), then plopped in a jar or carton and topped with a layer of plain, clarified butter. I couldn't find the teeninsy brown shrimp asked, but got some teeny regular shrimp that had been cooked and frozen. Once you've got the potted shrimp on hand, it's just a matter of making and omelet and filling it with the shrimp. Served with a salad, this was a fine, light meal, well-suited to brunch-time eating.


Check this week's I Heart Cooking Clubs post to see what other folks have found to eat for brunch.

7 comments:

  1. I considered making this dish this week as well but the potted shrimp requirement totally threw me off!. I'm glad you worked your way around that ingredient and enjoyed the end results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, first let me say that your omelet making skills are top notch! That is one good looking omelet:) I always struggle and mine seem to rip and tear. It all tastes the same but I really want to master making a great looking omelet one day. Love the idea of a shrimp filling. Sounds like a decadent twist very worthy of brunch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We don't get potted shrimp here either, but your omelette looks beautiful and I love the idea of some kind of shrimp filling - something to work on I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delicious plate of omelette! I have never heard of potted shrimp, a new ingredient for me! Using shrimp in an omelette sounds really good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. THAT is probably the shortest recipe I have ever seen. Especially for a chef!! As much as I love omelets and shrimp this is the perfect brunch choice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a pretty omelette and the shrimp filling sounds amazing. I love that you made your own potted shrimps for it. Mmm... I want to have brunch at your house! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Potted shrimps, OMG! I like them fresh with nothing but eggs, the brown shrimps from the North Sea have such a subtle taste, I never would cover it with herbs https://www.flickr.com/photos/42113263@N00/355993054/

    Your dish looks like the perfect fischermen's lunch from Germany

    ReplyDelete