Thursday, June 19, 2014

IHCC: June Potluck!

And now for something completely different. My potluck this month isn't Nigel Slater. And it's not Madhur Jaffrey. Instead it's Mark Bittman, from How to Cook Everything Vegetarian, a rather good vegetarian cookbook I don't turn to often enough.

There was broccoli to be used up, so I decided to make some Creamy Cauliflower (or Broccoli) Soup (p130). I've previously made the Indian Cauliflower Soup variation and I thought I'd give the main recipe a try.

First I needed some vegetable stock. I made a double-dose of One-Hour Vegetable Stock (p101) so I'd have extra for the freezer. This is a fairly straightforward stock to make and the result had quite a lot flavor. (Vegetable stocks are frequently pretty blah tasting.) You spend a bit of time chopping carrots, onion, potato, celery, garlic, and mushrooms. These are sautéed until they begin to brown. Then water is added along with some soy sauce, parsley, and freshly ground black pepper. I measured a bit short on the soy sauce (it was the end of the bottle) and added no extra salt. This simmers for 30 minutes or longer, till you're ready to deal with it. I used some for the soup then froze another five cups.


With the stock ready, the soup was then a snap to make. I heated some grapeseed oil (currently my sautéing choice, rather than butter or olive oil), then added a sliced onion, a chopped head of broccoli, and some chopped garlic as they were ready. Add a pinch of salt and some freshly ground black pepper. When the onion has softened, stir in a good slog of white wine. (Feels like making a risotto!) Then add the stock and cook until the broccoli is tender. Use an immersion blender to buzz it smooth. Stir in a cup of cream or sour cream (I used crème fraîche) and serve. Not the prettiest soup I've ever made, but tasty nevertheless.


Check out this week's post at I Heart Cooking Clubs to see what potluck dishes other folks are making this week.

7 comments:

  1. May not be pretty, but a good soup is a food soup! To boot, you've got the makings for other sauces or soups with that extra stock all prepped ... great share!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Broccoli soup is always welcome in my home. I often turn to Mark Bittman's soup recipes for those little tips - like caramelizing the vegetables for the stock - that add flavour without adding too much extra labour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Homemade stock always is the best! And the soup sounds good. The perfect bowl to enjoy after a tiring day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! Broccoli soup is always so comforting and filling and Mark Bittman always has good simple soup recipes. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I prefer homemade stock too, nothing is better. I think good tasting soups are hard to photograph and it is the taste that counts

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love broccoli soup. Funnily enough my partner who adores broccoli with just about everything is not so fussed. Go figure?! Nice to see a few people cooking with Bittman this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really need to make some veggie stock. I never seem to have it when I need it. ANd then to make this soup. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete