Tuesday, May 6, 2014

IHCC: Weeknight Favorites!

I'm getting the feeling that most everything I try in The 30-Minute Cook will turn into a weeknight favorite. Everything I've tried has been fast, by definition, and tasty. Today was shopping day, which means fish for dinner. This time we had Grilled Fish with Chermoula (p124).

Slater asks for you to cut some white fish fillets into 3cm cubes to marinate, then thread onto skewers for grilling. The best-looking white fish available looked like panga, which is too thin to cut into cubes and skewer. Instead I cut each fillet into half longways. The fish is marinated for as long as you can manage, overnight, a few hours, or even 20 minutes (which is the only option that makes it truly fast). I put my fillets on to marinate just after we got back from the shop, so they had two or three hours of sitting. The final cooking is just a few minutes under the grill.

The chermuoula is easy to assemble but takes a bit of chop-chop-chopping; a small onion, flat-leaf parsley, coriander leaves are mixed with garlic cloves crushed with salt, some powdered saffron, paprika, chili flakes, lemon juice, and olive oil. Toss this with the fish bits and leave them to rest and absorb flavor.

If you have cubes of fish, you could thread them onto skewers. I just put my fillets under the broiler. They got done while I plated the rest of the meal, new potatoes (as suggested) and some haricots jaunes. And very tasty they were.


(I did not line the potatoes up in tidy rows on purpose. They aligned themselves as if by magic.)

Visit this week's I Heart Cooking Clubs to see what other folks are making for their weeknight meals.

8 comments:

  1. I'm not familiar with chermoula, but it sounds delicious. We eat a lot of fish so I'm always looking for new ideas. Not being a patient person, I think I would make this like you did instead of trying to thread on a skewer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love chermuoula--the flavors pair so well with meat, poultry or fish. This looks like a fabulous dinner. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Michelle, I had not heard of chermoula. What pretty meal. Love how your potatoes cooperated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chermuoula's a great way to add flavour to fish. That looks like a delicious meal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although I live at the Baltic Sea, I am not a huge fan of fish, but this sounds intriguing

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love chermoula, particularly as a way to flavour fish. This is the kind of dinner I would absolutely love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many wonderful flavors in this dish, but none of them too overpowering for a simple piece of fish. I can understand why the 30 min. cookbook is a favorite of yours. These are my favorite types of recipes too!

    ReplyDelete