Friday, May 2, 2014

IHCC: Rootie Patootie!

Back to Real Fast Food for tonight's dinner. Several weeks ago, I ran into the recipe in this book for Broiled Potatoes (p173) and marked it to try since it's always nice to have a new way to do potatoes. When the root veggie them came around, I thought I'd give this a try as a side dish. But, when I read the recipe closer, I discovered the option for making the dish into a light supper by topping the potato slices with a soft blue cheese like Gorgonzola.

When we moved to the Netherlands, thirty-some-odd years ago now, neither of us were big cheese eaters. As American we grew up with Kraft American cheese slices, not an impressive start to our cheese eating careers. Velveeta and similar processed cheeses only made matters worse. Neither of us had a taste for any kind of blue cheese at all, rather we had a sort of antipathy towards them. As we settled into a more European style of life and eating, our cheese vocabulary widened and we enjoyed a much greater variety of cheeses, cow, goat, and sheep. Still, though, blue cheese wasn't really our thing. At some point, though, I figured that so many people whose taste I respected were enthusiastic about blue cheese that I there must be something there I'm missing. I started introducing bits of blue cheese into dinners and cheese plates. Ed remains a bit reluctant, but now I'll even ask for a blue cheese when the trolley comes around in a restaurant.

Slater's Broiled Potatoes start with thick slices of potato, one potato per person, boiled until till done, then scored, topped with garlicky oil, and, yes, broiled. As a side dish, these can be eaten plain or with any number of toppings that Slater suggests. (And I'm sure that two medium potatoes makes a very generous side dish.)

For a supper, he suggests topping the grilled slices with a blue cheese. I found some soft, Italian Gorgonzola to use. When the slices are done, you top with the cheese and put them back under the broiler to melt the cheese. Then serve.


A hit! With a big green salad, this made a lovely dinner. Ed said I could make this one often, just like this.

Visit this week's I Heart Cooking Clubs to see how other folks are rooting for Nigel Slater.

7 comments:

  1. I must admit that I'm not a huge fan of blue cheese myself but a nice dolce Gorgonzola buffered by those delicious garlicky potatoes and a green salad sounds very appealing to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love potatoes and I love cheese. In Northern Germany we do great cheeses, I would have chosen Frisian blue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love blue cheese, but it's a hard sell with the rest of my family. I think these potatoes look incredible. I think these would be wonderful to serve alongside a steak. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not tried blue cheese before. Over here in Malaysia, cheese is not used in our daily dishes, and they are rather expensive as almost all are imported. I would love to try blue cheese one day, and I supposed to start it with potato would be my perfect choice. Nice dish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. While not a blue cheese fan these look like a great way to round out a meal. Maybe a nice gruyere?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yum. I love blue cheese, and this looks like a wonderfully delicious and decadent way to enjoy potatoes. I can think of so many things these would be great with, but I would certainly be happy to enjoy them as a meal on their own.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm... potatoes and Gorgonzola are a perfect combination. I would love these and that big green salad you mentioned for dinner too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete