Monday, February 3, 2014

This week in the kitchen

Monday/3-Feb-14: Dinner was Curried Zucchini Soup from the freezer, made with some of the summer bounty. As an accompaniment, I made banista (TLQuint, p6) a savory filo pastry filled with a feta-yogurt-egg mixture.

Tuesday/4-Feb-14: Had a day out with my drawing group today—shopping, not drawing. In the morning, I cranked up the crockpot and started a half recipe of Chicken and Chickpea Tagine (web), a half recipe with all the spices. Served with couscous and some roasted broccoli tossed with Moroccan spice (homemade for something or other). All pretty good.

Yogurt on overnight. Hoping it shuts off properly.

Wednesday/5-Feb-14: Yogurt was fine. Hope the business with not turning off consistently was a momentary aberration. Shopping today.

Dinner was (sort of) Schol uit de Oven (TLQuint, p35); that's plaice from the oven. There was schol last week, but not this week. I used panga instead, probably slight larger, so I cooked a bit longer. No Gouda; used Parmesan instead. This would probably work with any thin fish fillet. Or any thick fillet if you didn't fold it. Ed didn't like the bacon especially. Served with Dusolier's Perfect Roast Potatoes and some steamed broccoli. For dessert we had some yummy cheesecake I bought at the cheese counter.


Thursday/6-Mon-14: I had lunch out today. (Ed was supposed to come, but stayed home sickly.) For dinner he had two big bowls of Curried Zucchini Soup, and I had one smaller one. I saw from my notes that I added 50% to the curry powder; it's ok as is, but could take a bit more. Soup needed salt, but that's normal for the way I cook.

Friday/7-Feb-14: Dinner was El Labm el M'qali (Morocco)—Lamb with Lemons and Olives (TLQuint, p62), served over couscous. I used store-bought preserved lemons, since I don't have any home-made ones available. Good, but I think I would make thin slices of the lemon quarters rather than leaving them in big chunks. Fairly easy to make, although boning the lamb is a bit time-consuming. For a salad, I made Kiopoolu (Bulgaria)—Eggplant and Pepper Spread (TLQuint, p104), which was a pretty good salady sort of thing.


Saturday/8-Feb-14: Yogurt on overday.

Meant to make pasta for dinner, but did a bunch of "stuff" instead. So it was a half recipe of Fettuccine with Mushrooms and Asparagus (web) with linguine. Used up the end of the Toupargel frozen asparagus, which worked fairly well. Tasty stuff. Then a big salad. Then a dab of ice cream with our hazelnut chocolate squares.

Sunday/9-Feb-14: There's a new version of the old Impossible Pie recipe going around this week, although it looks a bit suspect to me. I can handle more butter and less sugar, especially the sugar part), but no baking powder or salt makes me wonder if it will work. I made one today with the baking powder. Still tasty. Like the reduced sugar.

Dinner was Thai Red Curry (web). Now that I look at the page again, I think it was meant to be served as a mug of soup. Otherwise, I can't imagine how it would served 12. I used only one carrot (instead of two), one zucchini instead of two (but these are bigger than the typical US ones), more green beans, and no baby corn; all this woudl be just short of a whole recipe. Served over rice. We might have had three or stretched to four servings. Easy, good, but nothing special. Kind of an old hippie veggie stir-fry, but with red curry paste and coconut milk. As a side, there was a half dose of Cucumber Salad (Delightful, p51) made with less sugar that asked; good stuff. Then Impossible Pie. We're full.

Progress on goals
This week: #1 COOKBOOKS: yes #2 VEG/FISH: 4
This month: #3 PASTA: no, #4 FotW: no for SP, #5 BREAD: 0

No comments:

Post a Comment