Monday, January 27, 2014

This week in the kitchen

Monday/27-Jan-14: We went to a movie late this afternoon, then ate dinner in Angoulême. Not much happened in the kitchen today.

Tuesday/28-Jan-14: Went to bed last night thinking I was finally over the new year's crud. Woke up this morning feeling like s***. Sigh. Cancelled today's appointments (a drawing get-together and a candlewicking class).

Tonight's planned dinner was a bit more work than I felt like, so instead I made a half dose of Goat Cheese, Chive, and Chili Pepper Sauce (MarCuc, p167) for spaghetti. And a big salad. And some double chocolate mini Magnums for dessert. Now about ready for an early bedtime.

Wednesday/29-Jan-14: Yogurt on overday. Curious that since I started "cooking" my yogurt for shorter times, the starter is lasting longer. I don't think I've replaced it since last summer, and it's still fine. Doing 8 or 9 hours now, assuming the gadget stays on for the time I set it.

Skipped Pilates, but got myself together for shopping.

Dinner was a double dose of Black Pepper Salmon with Olives and Tomatoes (web). Pretty good, and very easy. Served with orzo and steamed broccoli. Split a magnum classic for after.

Thursday/30-Jan-14: For dinner, I made a full dose of Marsala Chicken Stew (web; cookbooker); we ate half and I froze the rest for another meal. It's funny that I actually collected this recipe twice from Eating Well and only discovered it when I went to enter the new copy into my spreadsheet. They resent recipe, as I notice they do sometimes. They suggested serving with whole-wheat noodles, so I bought some spaghetti, but then ended up using the mushroom-flavored chanterelle-like pasta I keep on hand. Simple and pretty tasty; might do with some veg, maybe peas. Two squares of chocolate and hazelnuts for afters.

Friday/31-Jan-14: Well, it's the last day of the month and I meant to sneak some home-made pasta in here, but lost track of time this afternoon, so ended up with dried tagliatelle instead. Too bad. Dinner was Ruth's Chris New Orleans-Style BBQ Shrimp (not sure where I collected this, but found the same recipe here). This is really easy and tasty. I sort of made a half recipe, half the shrimp and half the worcestershire sauce, just a dab of the butter (which really helped to bring the sauce together), but all of the rest of the spices. Then a big salad. Then two more squares of chocolate and hazelnuts.

On Facebook a month of so ago, there went around a post about naming the top ten books that have affected your life. I never answered this, but have thought about it a bit. As a child, I loved and read several times the Burgess Bird Book for Children and the Burgess Animal Book for Children, both with illustrations by Louis Agassiz Fuertes, whom I would have thought was dead long before these books were first published (1919 and 1920 respectively). I have no idea who gave these to me or when. I've written my name in very young cursive on the flyleaf. On the list of illustrations I checked off most of the birds; I'm not sure if they were ones I'd seen or ones I wanted to see. Hard to believe I hadn't seen an English sparrow, but also hard to believe I didn't want to see a bald eagle. I've started reading the bird book again. Charming children's stories of birds. Now I see you're actually being given lots of information about the lives of these common birds, nesting, feeding,  habitat, migration, identification, etc.

Saturday/1-Feb-14: Yogurt on overday.

We ate out tonight we the Trois Coins group plus spouses. A nice time, but nothing happened in the kitchen.

Sunday/2-Feb-14: Another Time-Life meal, this time rösti from Switzerland (TLQuint, p95). I made a halfish recipe (a short 2# of potatoes probably), which fit nicely in my smaller cast iron skillet. Added the layer of sautéed onions as suggested in the note. If you prepared the potatoes (parboiling, peeling, chilling) the night before, this would be a pretty good weeknight meal. The poached egg was my addition, but went quite well. We split a classic magnum for dessert.



For my Time-Life project, this month we start with Spain & Portugal, and we have two more weeks to cook from TLQuint. I have a few dishes scheduled for this week from TLQuint. I still need to read the Tunisia/Morocco section and I'm sure I'll come up with some things there to cook soon.

Progress on goals
This week: #1 COOKBOOKS: yes, #2 VEG/FISH: 4
This month: #3 PASTA: no for Jan/no for Feb, #4 FotW: yes for Jan/no for Feb, #5 BREAD: 0 for Jan/0 for Feb

No comments:

Post a Comment